1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lorain (OH) Morning Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lloyd, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

This is possibly one of the worst looking papers I've ever seen. But, I haven't heard too much bad about working there as far as the people and management.

But, if it's JRC don't expect to make much.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But there's no reason this person couldn't change the roles a bit.

Like Doctor said, it's stupid to think an SE at this size paper shouldn't be covering anything.

3. lloyd

lloyd New Member

that's why i said typically. the new guy could do whatever he wants

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If I took an SE's job, I'd want to be out of the office writing on occasion. Helps keep you fresh, your face visible in the community and if someone came up to me about paper questions I'd talk to them. Of course, that's just me.

FWIW, Jim Ingraham's Indians coverage is great. Between Hoynsie at the Plain Dealer and Sheldon Ocker at the ABJ, this team gets some good press.

5. Totally agree. There's just a difference between covering something local, which is a premium, and covering a pro sports game unless you're doing it on your own time. It's easy to see the Indians, Cavaliers and Browns are covered and think "I can go cover that once a week." That's why I made that statement, which sparked a few responses.

The previous SE was big on running things from the office. Would it be easy to go cover a high school game once a week for the SE? Sure. Would it be easy to have a beat like soccer? Definitely, our previous editor did it.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Does the Morning Journal still use Jeff Schuldel's Browns stuff? Because he sucks indescribably.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Coming from someone who obviously has an inferiority complex.

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Yes, obviously.

And I think this is where I'm supposed to say, "Thanks for checking in, Mr. Schudel."

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm hearing there are some pretty major problems with this place. Of the things I've heard, these stand out as a buyer beware when thinking about going after this job.

* Copy deadline is 10:30. Apparently this is due to a move earlier this year, when JRC switched printing from Lorain to its sister paper in Willoughby, which completely fucked Lorain. No Indians games in the playoffs. None. Ohio State? They don't hold for night games.

* Because of those absure deadlines, Lorain's main competition, Elyria, now basically doesn't consider Lorain competition at all. Might not mean much except how you respect yourself in the morning if you're getting beat with any story at night. (Granted, you're at the bars in Cleveland by 11:15 every night, so that's not bad)

* I will qualify this as third-hand info: The previous SE's departure apparently had much to do with lack of pride in the section.

Like any other job, it's your decision, so I guess take what I say w/ a grain.

10. lloyd

lloyd New Member

In response to MU, yes, we lost the press in the spring. The paper prints in Willoughby, which makes for interesting challenges, but we do the best we can with deadlines. It's not always 10:30. Some of the Indians games with the Red Sox that ended past midnight, no, we did not get. But I can only think of a couple postseason games we didn't get.
    For the Ohio State night games, I believe a couple thousand papers were printed without the result, but I filed as soon as the game ended and the presses were stopped. We've basically figured out how much wiggle room we have with deadlines, what we can get and what we have to go without. We get most of it, sometimes we have to go without.
    And for the record, the previous SE was a helluva boss. There was very little turnover on staff during my time there. He left the industry entirely for better hours, holidays off and a normal life.

11. PDT635

PDT635 New Member

For what it's worth:
    I was the ASE under the (now) former SE for about six months a couple of years ago.
    My take on the job:

- Though apparently much has changed since I was there almost three years ago, they have some great people there. Jason Lloyd is a top-notch beat guy and is on the same level (if not higher) than the OSU guys at The Plain Dealer, Akron and Columbus.
    - The ASE (I guess the interim SE) Matt Goul is a helluva guy to work with. Outstanding writer and he's gotten a lot better with page design and desk work. One of my favorite people in the business.
    - As far as early deadlines and things of that nature..welcome to life in small suburban newspapers. This is happening everywhere, but this is still a 30K paper that covers all the major sports in Cleveland, as well as Ohio State. They also do a REALLY good job with high school football coverage, in the past, the preview section has been among the state's best.
    - Lorain is not the best area, but it's OK. It's 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland and anything you need in terms of shopping, bars, etc...is all an easy drive to any number of surrounding places. It's right on Lake Erie, for people who like scenic stuff.
    - Generally, people who work there bust their ass and the product is good. Reason I left was because I wanted to move South for the weather, but I enjoyed my time there for the most part.

PM me with any questions, but you'd be better off talking to someone who's actually there.

12. Yes, the deadlines are a tremendous hit to morale at times, but we do hold for what's important. We're not getting your standard NBA and NHL scores after 8:30, but on the positive I've been amazed at how well even our stringers have responded with having to get prep stories to us by 10:30. I did receive some encouraging news that our deadlines may steadily improve. Will that happen over night? No.

Now let me say this. With a skeleton staff that is still missing some bones, we're still covering about 30 schools and are embarking on a stretch with football playoffs, a fall all-star section and a winter sports section within a week of each other. I'm still confident we'll have a quality product. I wouldn't show up to work to do anything less!

Draft saved Draft deleted