1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lorain (OH) Morning Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lloyd, Nov 2, 2007.

1. lloyd

lloyd New Member

Here is the ad running in various spots. I'm the Ohio State writer for the Journal and I'd be happy to answer any questions, either on here or in a PM...
    The LMJ is about a 30,000 daily. As the ad says, we're just outside Cleveland, so the pro sports is a big focus, along with the high schools. The Indians, Cavs and Browns writers work out of the sister office, the Lake County News Herald, which blankets the east side of Cleveland. The two papers do well to work together. Anything else, feel free to ask.

Seeking Sports Editor
    The Morning Journal, an award-winning paper in Lorain, Ohio, 30 miles west of Cleveland, is seeking a Sports Editor.
    The newspaper covers 35 high schools, Cleveland pro sports and Ohio State.
    Candidates should be proficient in QuarkXPress.
    Duties include managing four full-time sports writers and numerous correspondents, designing daily pages several nights a week, planning coverage and special sections, working with reporters and some writing opportunities.
    Applicants should send a resume and work samples to April Elliott, Managing Editor, 1657 Broadway, Lorain, OH 44052. No resumes will be accepted electronically. No phone calls please.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

JRC warning.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Any idea on pay? And the ad mentions writers, but not a ASE. Who picks up the extra desk shifts?

4. lloyd

lloyd New Member

There is an ASE, two prep writers and myself, plus obviously the SE. From mid-August through November, I'm in the office once a week. The rest of the time I'm doing the Buckeyes.

Yes, we're part of JRC, but it's not as bad as some of the stories on here. I can't speak for the papers in the east, but we're pretty much our own entity in Ohio and for the most part left alone. Some of the superiors in our building said the new regime of JRC wants to do more to help the papers than has been done in the past. Take that for what you will. We've won plenty of APSEs over the last few years, mostly for our prep football preview and coverage.

Sorry, I'm not in the position to offer a pay scale.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

So, i'm guessing this is a desk gig with very little writing and a whole lot of management.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can never hear Lorain without thinking of that Roots song.

7. Well, there are writing opportunities if you want to go after them. I'm the current ASE, serving as interim sports editor until we can find someone. As busy as I'm going to be for the coming weeks, I'm still writing our prep boys basketball preview cover stories and much of that content. Our former sports editor had a good number of breaking news stories because he'd find out something while working a planning shift on Monday afternoons.

Will you cover games? A sports editor shouldn't be doing that.

If you have the drive as an editor and want to make things happen on the Web, look into it. This paper is entering a transition of beefing up its Web site, so go on there and check that out. It may give you the vibe -- good or bad -- you're looking for. Also, feel free to pm me.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Says who? I work for an 80K, APSE top-10 section. We have 10 full-timers (including myself), seven or eight part-timers, a handful of stringers, the ASE and the SE. My SE has a beat. He covers the hell out of it. We still manage to put out a quality product.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Plus it's a 30K paper. Tell me a paper that size and with a staff that small that doesn't have a sports editor who is writing?

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Colleague of mine from college was their ASE for a while. Despite the usual limits for a paper that size, he spoke highly of the paper and it helped him move on to bigger things.

11. lloyd

lloyd New Member

it has typically been a management type role, as someone previously suggested.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

what happened to the previous SE?

Draft saved Draft deleted