1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lincoln, Neb.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Lincoln Journal Star is seeking a dynamic Sports Editor with strong leadership and organizational skills who can make an immediate contribution to our printed and online products with compelling sports coverage, enterprising sports news, and multimedia presentations. This position requires a supervisor who can make sound decisions quickly, communicate well, train and coach reporters, edit copy, and guide the building of a vigorous online report and eye-catching print pages. This position requires strength as both an assigning editor and knowledge of good copy editing and page design. Experience as a beat writer covering a pro or college team is helpful, but not required.

The Lincoln Journal Star is based in Nebraska's capital city, home of the Huskers. We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 49 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states

The Lincoln Journal Star offers exciting career opportunities and competitive salary. This position is a full-time career opportunity offering a highly competitive compensation package including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401(k) plan and paid time off.

To learn more about our company or to apply, please log onto www.journalstar.com and click on 'Jobs' and then 'Work at the Journal Star' for a listing of our open positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with salary history. Candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted by phone.

We are a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check prior to commencing employment.

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Where's Todd Henrichs going?

And I cast my vote for Clark Grell.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Todd Henrichs was great to deal with. Hopefully everything's OK.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing about Todd, who is definitely great to work with, and did a quick search and it looks like he's now the city editor at the paper.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How big is the staff?

6. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

Todd took the city editor position within the Journal Star. More consistent hours. His immediate replacement came from within, but soon left for a development job.

7. Livingthedream

Livingthedream New Member

Staff estimate:
    4 Husker sports writers
    2 prep writers
    1 GA
    4 copy desk/designers
    1 web desker
    A collection of part-timers filling in the gaps

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. Matt Humphrey

Matt Humphrey New Member

Great people. Great staff. Great place to work.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a lot bigger than I would have guessed, especially these days. That's impressive.

11. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I'm pulling for Clark Grell here.
    Good dude, a Bearcat (The Northwest Missouri State version) and I guess technically my first boss.

12. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

I've heard this from some who work at the Journal-Star:

Darnell Dickson will be the Journal Star's next sports editor.

Darnell has been sports editor at the Provo Daily Herald, a Lee Enterprises newspaper, for nearly eight years. He has also been the BYU football beat writer and the BYU men's basketball columnist. He has been honored with a string of state and regional sports awards.

Draft saved Draft deleted