1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Liberal KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 15, 2008.

1. spud

spud Member

God's spiteful, spiteful retribution.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Want it done in your sleep or would you perfer to see it coming? =oD

But seriously, folks, that little "no paid holidays your first year" policy pretty much eliminates anyone with experience. Even our chain isn't that cruel (You don't get to use your PDO's your first six months unless you choose to take an "advance" for legal holiidays....if you're hired in August, it'll be about 10 months before you can take anything other than a holiday off without hurting yourself).

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Don't worry, I know that too.
    I remember applying for this job out of college. I went in and bought a paper before interviewing. Lots of sexual molestation and lewd acts with a minor charges in the court docket, but nothing on the front page about crime.
    I asked during the interview why they didn't have any of that.
    "We don't like to see bad news on the front page here."
    that was when I decided to not take the job.
    Well, that and the lady at WalMart on the Sunday that actually scanned the beer I was trying to buy, turned the little screen toward me, and said, "Can't you read the sign?"
    I didn't know you can't buy beer in Kansas on Sunday, I just thought the damn case was burnt out like the rest of the run-down town.
    That and the crappy town, and the middle of nowhere atmosphere, and, and, and.
    Nevermind.

Oh, but the best part about the town is the semi-pro team.
    The Liberal BeeJays

[​IMG]

Go BeeJays!

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

BJs? Seriously?
    Now they're not even trying.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

fixed.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The Kansas claim for the largest ball of twine in in Cawker City. I've seen it. I've touched it.

I did a brief stint at the Southwest Daily Times back when I was a migrant worker, waiting for graduate school to begin.

It's the only place I've been where folks walk outside and utter, "The must be burning blood, today" when greeted by the stench from the beef packing plants.

If you really need to buy beer on Sunday, you can drive about 3 miles south to Oklahoma.

The publisher while I was there later got in trouble with what he thought was a bottomless charge card when he was executive of the Kansas Press Association.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They were named after Ban Johnson, the first American League president. It used to be spelled "Bee-Jays" sometimes.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

To continue the thread jack, what exactly is semi-pro? Either you're paid or you aren't. The BeeJays are a wooden-bat summer league college team and aren't paid. Money, that is. Although I hear local high school girls like to go after them.

As for the job, if you like West Texas without the great high school football and with colder winters, that's Liberal for you.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Liberal's actually more like the Oklahoma Panhandle than it is like Kansas or Texas.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Liberal, Okie panhandle, Texas panhandle, it's all the same.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I can't speak for the city, but yeah...that area?...NOTHING. At all. Miles and miles and miles of nothing between Liberal and Perryton, Texas (home of Mike Hargrove, Liberal BJs manager this past season, if I remember correctly).

Draft saved Draft deleted