1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Liberal, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KurtWarner13, Jun 8, 2007.

1. KurtWarner13

KurtWarner13 New Member

From the Kansas Press Association web site:

I interviewed there a few years ago. The location is brutally isolated, but it seemd like a really good paper. The high school football team is usually very good and the junior college basketball teams are good more than not, especially the women's team, which is usually one of the better ones in the nation. If you can handle the location, a good situation as far as I know.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Ditto this, I interview there a few years ago and were it not for the location, I would have taken this job. You can't buy beer on Sunday's. I didn't know this and tried to buy some at a Wal-Mart, the cashier was a bit snippy about it, which turned my wife and I off the town.
    However, Dorothy's house from the Wizard of Oz is here, so that's something.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Do they still have the BeeJays in the Jayhawk League?

The one time I was through there, I stopped off for a game. The "ballpark" was actually the local dirt track. The playing field was laid out on the infield of the track.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The coach of the summer wooden bat league team here played for the BeeJays a couple of eyars ago, so guess they are still playing.
    When I was interviewing, it was so hard for me to hold my sophomoric laughter when I thought of the name..... Liberal BeeJays. If I would have stayed a few days, I would have bought a shirt for all my friends.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I could never work in a city called Liberal.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I went there, just because before one assignment. Had to.

As for the town, the high school there -- the Liberal Redskins -- used to dominate football and track from the mid-90s into the early part of this decade. But that has since come and gone.

And of course, you would report all things Seward County for your Juco coverage.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think Clark Griswold's brother-in-law lives in Liberal.

[​IMG]

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Any idea what this job pays? What is the setup in the sports department? What is the coverage area?

9. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

I'd guess the 25-30K range, probably no more than that. It's a solid newspaper, though, and a good sports town, or at least it was until a couple years ago. Football and boys basketball used to be pretty strong, but they've tailed off some. The track team had about a 10-year dynasty until a couple years ago. Now their boys soccer team is strong. It's a town that loves its sports, though.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bubbler, I'm disappointed in you!

Clark Griswold's brother-in-law lives in Coolidge, which is about 18 miles west of Syracuse -- but right before Colorado -- on U.S. 50. Though while in Dodge City, Griswold did talk about going to Liberal for the world's largest house of mud or twine or something like that, I believe.

11. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

job is about 22K

Draft saved Draft deleted