1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Leavenworth, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

latest from jj.com

Community-focused, five-day daily located just outside of Kansas City seeks talented journalist to run one-person department. Must be good sports writer capable of adding depth to high school sports and other local coverage, have design skills and be familiar with Quark, and be adept at social media and multi-media platforms.

Fulltime with benefits. Regional candidates preferred. Degree required. Send resume, letter and samples to General Manager Dale Brendel at dbrendel@leavenworthtimes.com.

Salary: 20,000 to $25,000

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Interviewed with Dale Brendel when he was in Independence, Mo. Didn't get the job, but liked him. I think he's been in Leavenworth for three or four years now. All I got.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know a person quite well who had this job fairly recently. The more cutbacks the company made, the more work they piled on this sports editor and most of it was not in the job description. The SE had to shoot photos for all kinds of non sports stories, then was charged with selling copies of those photos. I think they even tried to push work that should have been on the ad and business side on the SE.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Another with "degree required."

5. How will a paper ever find an SE without a degree in this job climate willing to work for poverty wages?

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A one-person staff with the size of town Leavenworth is, coupled with $20-25,000 a year?

Jesus, has the business gone that far down into the toilet?

7. slc10

slc10 Member

We are crawling under big rocks. Just need to look hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted