1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Las Cruces (N.M.) Sun-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 12, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Las Cruces Sun-News, a 22,000-circulation daily in southern New Mexico, is seeking a passionate, organized editor to lead a department in covering a vibrant prep sports community and the NCAA Division 1 New Mexico State University Aggies. This position includes duties of covering Aggie football and basketball, organizing the daily sports section, coordinating yearly sports tabs, working with a remote production desk, directing a prep sports reporter and developing a network of stringers. Social media engagement is a top priority of this position. The editor will be responsible for maintaining the Sun-News Sports fan page, Tweeting, Touting, blogging, as well as potentially continuing the Sun-News’ weekly webcast on local sports. A strong candidate will come with ideas for improving our daily and enterprise coverage and enjoy experimenting with new media platforms and applications.

Job Requirements

Bachelor’s degree in journalism, multimedia or related field.
    At least 3 – 5 years of experience in sports reporting or editing.
    Adept at using various social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Tout, Storify, etc.
    Must be flexible to also work nights, weekends and occasionally long hours.
    Able to operate and have access to reliable motor vehicle, provide proof and maintain a valid driver’s license and current liability insurance.

Please apply by submitting a resume at http://bit.ly/1oMCj8N.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1600171

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3 of the best (read: fulfilling) days of my career were spent in Cruces leading up to, and covering, local football team in the 4A title game. Day began on the sideline at Aggie Stadium to watch Cruces v. Mayfield in the 5A title game. Went to experience Cruces-Mayfield up close and personal; it's one of those crosstown rivalries; at least it was in '02. Packed stadium (35K) and kick-ass game won by Cruces 17-14.

That night at Field of Dreams, Oñate (the "other" Cruces school) beat my team, Goddard, 17-14 in a slugfest.

I went to the Sun to bang out the story then made the 4-hour drive back to Roswell.

Don't think I've ever been so wrapped up in the emotions of one team like I was Goddard's during the drive. If I were to list the top 10 football teams I covered from Long Beach to Bellows Falls, Goddard '02 would be No. 1.

And I know a talented journalist from Cruces. Some of y'all might know her too ...

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Paper does a great job covering NMSU. Jason Groves does good work.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

is Groves the one leaving?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Teddy Feinberg left for a job in York, Pa.

Draft saved Draft deleted