1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports editor, LaGrande, Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 22, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Observer, a daily newspaper in scenic Northeast Oregon, is looking for a sports editor to lead our two-person sports team. We cover nine high schools and Eastern Oregon University. Reporting, photography and page design/layout experience required; supervisory experience helpful. Send cover letter, resume and writing, photo and design samples to Ted Kramer, Editor/Publisher, The Observer, 1406 Fifth St., La Grande, OR 97850; by e-mail to tkramer@lagrandeobserver.com.

Not a bad gig if one (1) enjoys the high school scene and (2) can tolerate the geographic remoteness of eastern Oregon. Nearest decent city is Boise, Idaho, several hours away.

Don't know the people there now, but did exchange stories with them on high school playoffs years ago and they really kept up with the high school teams quite well.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Good people there in The Big. Ted Kramer used to do sports there, as did a couple other people in the newsroom, so you do have people who can sympathize with the demands of a two-man desk and will give you room to work. It's a WesCom paper, so while you won't be spoiled for resources, you will have the opportunity to travel west when the high school teams go to state tournaments.

Mark is correct -- La Grande is really remote. Boise is three hours away (four if you count the time change), Walla Walla is about 90 minutes away and it takes a little more than four hours to get to Portland. Otherwise, as smaller dailies go, there are a lot worse places to work. You have ample support from the management, helpful local coaches (with one notable exception) and an appreciative community.

I haven't worked there for a few years now, but I'd be happy to provide what insight I can.

3. LoveJesus9

LoveJesus9 New Member

This is an EXCELLENT place to start. Excellent.
    I started in La Grande a few years ago, worked there for a year. The scenery is beautiful. Ted Kramer is the best boss I've ever had, and you won't find anyone better. The newsroom people are great, as well.
    The only downside is, yes, La Grande is remote. (I highly recommend DirecTV to watch your favorite sports teams.)

4. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket New Member

Any idea on pay range or cost of living?

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You certainly won't get rich, but I imagine you know that already. The good news is that the COL in Eastern Oregon can be quite cheap. I rented a nice one-bedroom apartment with a view of the Blue Mountains for about $350/mo (water included), and even in the dead of winter my electric bills rarely went above $30.

Gas might be a little more expensive than you're used to (can't pump your own, remember), and I second LJ9's recommendation springing for DirecTV so you can avoid dealing with the local cable company.

Draft saved Draft deleted