1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lafayette Louisiana...........Again!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Lafayette, LA: Sports editor. The Daily Advertiser seeks a versatile leader who can inspire a team to produce outstanding sports coverage in print and online and can help assign, edit and determine story play for news and features in an innovative newsroom structured for a multimedia age. The most promising candidate will have five years’ experience in a sports section at a daily newspaper and at least two years of supervisory experience. The candidate will embrace the fact that sports news happens off the field and will value enterprise reporting on a diverse array of topics. He or she will understand the need for fans, high school athletes and the recreational sportsman to be seen and heard. The candidate also will understand that the results of last night's games have been online for hours before a newspaper reaches anyone's home. Apply to Executive Editor Denise Richter.

So, the last guy only lasted three months? Anyone know what happened? I remember they kept moving the application deadline back last time in hope of finding a better candidate.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Was Dan Itel the old editor? What happened to him?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yeah, he was the old editor, but only took over in Oct. or Nov. if i recall.

4. My best friend in the biz was offered this job the last time it was open. At the same time he was interviewing in Lafayette, he was also interviewing at a paper four times bigger. When the job offer came, he was honest with the Lafayette folks and said he's appreciate some time to see how things shook out.

Lafayette immediately yanked the offer. Apparently, the direction they decided to go didn't work out so well for them.

5. And, yes, this wasn't that long ago — maybe August or September.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That was the first round of job offerings. I think they had two or three people turn the gig down, so they went about another round of interviews.
    Wonderig what's so wrong with this gig, though I heard it's a whole lot of desk work.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The paper is pretty bad. Lafayette is a great town, but the paper isn't highly thought of in the community. Matter of fact, a few years ago, the Baton Rouge paper had a part-time stringer who would beat The Advertiser like a $25 whore that stole his wallet on big USL stuff...like when the football coach got canned.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm kinda curious. How do you quit a job so quickly. considering you're probably locked in a one-year lease and your moving expenses are also tied into some sort of one-year agreement.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Isn't every SE job at Gannett about the DESK? Oh, and micromanagement?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, the 20-year-old nazi now is an expert on newspaper chains.

when are you moving over to news, adolf? i thought you hated sports.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Go back to your shit sandwich, Tommy.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i actually thought i had when i left a message for an ignorant fucktard, who hates sports and wants so desperately to be in news, yet continues to post on a sports message board.

are you also so very confused about your sexuality as well? ... would be a good reason for your idiotic views about falling in line behind a controlling government, and, well, shit, just about everything else you bring to the table.

just admit it hilary, i'm guessing it would make you feel much better to come clean.

Draft saved Draft deleted