1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Lafayette, La.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Miles O'Toole, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

The job isn't made any easier by the fact that the ULL sports information department might be the most incompetent and undependable sports information department in Division I-A. Others might be meaner and more paranoid, but the ULL SID and his co-horts are simply clueless buffoons.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

The exec editor there is a pretty nice woman and a fairly talented journalist but she doesn't know a whole heck of a lot about sports. That can be a good thing for the SE. She's pretty easily managed, and since the new SE will be her hire, I'd suspect he will be given a bit of latitude to do things his way, at least initially. She's a Gannett-oid though, and has moved multiple times for the mother ship. This won't be her last gig. I'd bet the SE will be there longer than her.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Lafayette is fairly decent sized too...probably about 100,000-120,000 or so population. They've got all the sort of stuff you need to live (Super Target, couple of Wal-Mart Supercenters, Best Buy, Lowe's, Circuit City, Home Depot, a couple of newsstands, a big Barnes & Noble, nice mall, big newish movie theaters). Used to have a couple of cool indie book and record stores, but the owner of the indie record store got in trouble with the law for selling bootlegs. They also tend to get better concerts than Baton Rouge...I saw Bob Dylan/Paul Simon there and Garbage/Smashing Pumpkins.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This from a buddy who was briefly an assistant SID at ULL: When the current SID was hired, he was looking at media guides in the office and wanted to know who put those together. He had NO CLUE that HIS office was going to be responsible for those publications.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i'm curious what type of timeframe they're working with on this one. figure with the football season around the corner, they'd be looking to make a quick hire.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i heard they're about to start interviews on this one. can anyone confrim?

7. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I don't know if they are interviewing soon, but I know there also is an ASE opening there too. That's probably a red flag if I ever saw one.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! when was that posted? and yeah, that's a major red flag. where did the ASE go?

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I'm told ASE left for a better career opportunity a while back and that SE was moved into the prep editor spot, didn't leave the paper. So the red flag may not be as big a flag as everyone on here always likes to assume.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

so, it's possible they're actually interviewing for two openings?

11. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Well if you call being unemployed rather than working there a better opportunity, then I guess you are right on.

12. bp6316

bp6316 Member

No, only one. ASE job was actually more or less a desk job I'm told. It has been filled. It does not have an ASE title anymore. SE job is the only one being filled at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted