1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Kirksville, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1237655

Company: Kirksville Daily Express
    Position:
    Immediate opening for a sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 3, 2014
    Job ID: 1237655

Description:

The Kirksville Daily Express, an award-winning, six-day newspaper in northeast Missouri, has an immediate opening for a sports editor.

This person will be responsible for leading coverage of 11 area high schools and a Division II university, writing features, editing, taking photos, shooting videos and more. The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field.

Send your resume and samples of writing to Jason Hunsicker, Managing Editor, Kirksville Daily Express, P.O. Box 809, Kirksville, MO 63501, or e-mail at dailyexpresseditor@gmail.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Jason's one of the good guys. He'll help you out all you need/want, yet let you run your own section.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Don't know him, but have heard good things. If I'm not mistaken, he's the former SE here, too, so you're not going to get the stupid demands and things you'd often get from an ME who has no clue about sports.

I went to college there and interned at the Daily Express about a million years ago. Not a destination job - and the town-gown relationship is one of the oddest and most distinctly separate I've ever seen - but for a recent grad or someone looking to build up decent clips and continue to move upward, you could do worse.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've been told when Northeast Missouri State was renamed Truman State and the university's mission changed to trying to become the Harvard of the Midwest, that relationship to which you referred went down hill fast.

My understanding is many area kids now go to Northwest Missouri State, which had annually been beating the crap out of Truman State in football ... until TSU dropped out of the conference.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The timing wasn't exact, but I think you're pretty spot on. I went there before the name change but after the "Harvard of the Midwest" push started, and a lot of kids from the region were no longer accepted there because it wasn't your local university anymore - it was all about ACT scores, GPA and class rank.

That led to a lot of hard feelings from the locals against the college and college kids, and a ton of students coming up from the St. Louis and Kansas City suburbs, drawn by the cheap in-state tuition and the promise of a well-rounded, liberal-arts "Harvard of the Midwest" education, didn't hesitate to look down their noses at the "townies".

And that was 20-25 years ago when I experienced that. I can only assume it has gotten more intense since.

But sorry for the threadjack.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

No need to apologize, burns. That's actually useful background info that whoever gets this job will need to take into account.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Not to thread jack, but I believe the last football coach at this prestigious university was fired after having a relationship with the AD's daughter who was indeed a Truman student. Nice clip for whoever broke that story, if it ever was.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

Paul Halfacre, a Mizzou grad working in Rome, Ga., has been hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted