1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Kirksville, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Kirksville Daily Express, a six-day newspaper in northeast Missouri, has an immediate opening for a sports editor.

This person will be responsible for daily pagination of the sports pages, leading coverage of 11 area high schools and a Division II university, writing features, editing, some photography, and more.

The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field, as well as experience with QuarkXPress.

Send your resume and samples of writing and pagination work to Jason Hunsicker, Managing Editor, Kirksville Daily Express, P.O. Box 809, Kirksville, MO 63501, or e-mail at dailyexpresseditor@gmail.com.

No phone calls, please.

2. outdoors

outdoors Member

Decent town, but you are pretty far away from anything that is decent size in the state. Columbia is a good hour and a half, St. Louis over three hours out and about two and a half to KC. Don't know much about the paper, but I know the SID at Truman well and he will make your job a lot easier as he has been there for around 15 years.

3. Whoever is leaving wasn't there very long, as I remember being in the mix for this job a year ago. I'll also add that you're about 2.5 hours from Des Moines.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Went to college in that town. Great college town. I don't remember that paper being anything to brag about though.

5. lookingforfulltime

lookingforfulltime New Member

Any guesses on if a recent grad would be considered for this one?

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

If you have the clips, skills and personality, a recent grad can get any job.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

But if you have to ask if you can get the job, you probably won't.

8. You have to start asking why they even posted it instead of just offering it to you.

9. Absolutely, they would.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Recent grads appear to be what most papers are looking for these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted