1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Kinston, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jun 17, 2013.

1. slc10

slc10 Member

Some of these college wooden bat leagues do well if they are run correctly. I worked with a team that played in the great south league. The team did well despite the owner dying from cancer. The league wasn't bad but had a few screws that needed to be tightened more or less.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

That was my post ... the SE was promoted to ME (but he still handled sports), but he's since been promoted to the editor's slot, and they advertised for a sports writer ... however, it looks like someone left Kinston to take that job, hence the opening and ad for a sports writer in Kinston ...

Make sense?

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

So is it a one-man shop in Kinston? You said they're looking for a sports writer but the thread title says sports ed. Same thing in this case?

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, same thing ... I just miswrote it ...

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It is a one-man shop. Page layout is done in Jacksonville.

6. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Here's the info:

You're a one-man show with a couple of long-time stringers ... Bryan Hanks, the ME, used to be the SE. He helps out and knows everyone in town ...

You won't do layout. That is done, as stated earlier, in Jacksonville along with the Daily News and New Bern Sun Journal. The deadline each night? 8:30 last page to press. On Friday nights, it's 10:30. Those were the last times I knew for sure.

Ryan Herman, the guy leaving, just wrote his farewell column. So, they are probably moving quickly...

http://www.kinston.com/sports/local/column-time-to-say-goodbye-1.163994

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

They did make a quick hire...Jessika Morgan was named SE.

8. SirPoopsAlot

SirPoopsAlot New Member

Wouldn't be a terrible job for a young journalist trying to get a feel for the misery of working for a newspaper. Good high school basketball talent. That's about it. Bryan Hanks is a complete goofball (says "dude" about every third word), but he's a nice enough guy. Having the copy desk in Jacksonville is not ideal. The people there, at one time, were hard to work with, especially the desk chief. His bad attitude kind of trickled down to everyone else. I wouldn't recommend my son to work for any newspaper, but I'm sure there are worse.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Jessika Morgan has been hired for this, according to APSE.

10. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Not every newspaper is so bad to give one the taste poops has. What I know about this gig is that one person can do it because they get a lot of help. That said, Kinston isn't the nicest place on earth. Hope the new hire does well.

Draft saved Draft deleted