1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Kinston, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jun 17, 2013.

1. bodiewatch

bodiewatch New Member

Even in Tennessee the Greeneville Astros sell beer, although when the Tusculum College Pioneers play there's none. I don't know who OWNS the stadium, but it is called Pioneer Park.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Wake Forest bought the now former Ernie Shore Field in 2010 and completely renovated the place (FieldTurf, new lights, new locker rooms, shortened the outfield wall from 24 feet to eight feet, etc.) ... its now officially called the Wake Forest Baseball Park ...

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I had this job in the late 1980s. The newspaper wasn't family owned then, and it isn't family owned now. It was owned by Freedom for many years before Halifax Media Group bought it and a bunch of other Freedom papers in the last year or so.

Twice weekly? I'm pretty sure it's still a daily. It has gone to a tabloid format.

Too bad that Kinston lost its baseball team to Zebulon. I was able to make it down there for the last Kinston Indians game at Grainger Stadium. Other than going to Greenville, there never was all that much to do for fun around there other than going to see the Kinston Indians play.

My guess is that the only baseball played at Grainger this summer will be American Legion games.

Yes, good hoops players do come through there. I covered Jerry Stackhouse when he played at Kinston High School (yes, I'm old). High school football was terrible back then, but obviously is much better now.

4. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

think he was talking about the Lincolnton job mentioned in here. which, i think is where the kinston SE went...

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, I was ... shoulda been a little clearer on that ... the Kinston guy went there? Sorry, that's a step down IMO ...

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's really puzzling. Definitely a step down. There must be something to this that we don't know about. Kinston has slipped some. Used to be a two-man department.

7. BWatson

BWatson New Member

According to his twitter account the SE who is leaving is going to his hometown newspaper. So that may explain it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Braves had a deal in place to move the Lynchburg Hillcats to Wilmington contingent on the building of a publicly funded ballpark in Wilmington. Voters shot it down resoundingly. There will no be minor league baseball in Wilmington in the near future.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sally tried to fly there with the Fayetteville Generals. Alas ... didn't work.

The CPL's Fayetteville SwampDogs probably draw as well as anyone in the CPL, but then again, it's probably the biggest market, too. J.P. Riddle Stadium has a pretty decent home-field advantage, but lots of Thirsty Thursdays and sloshed, obnoxious fans don't help the image.

The Handelsmans had best hope this works. For what Lew and his son, Darrell, paid for the franchise, it needs to. Darrell has apparently recovered from a gas-grill explosion at the park some time back which burned his legs and a hand.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

All of these comments left me confused for a moment or two which isn't very hard. I understand that the Kinston paper is looking for someone to be a one-man band. I know a guy who did that for years and it nearly killed him. Despite that I need to know if is a daily or not.
    Several of you mentioned Linconton as well and if there is an opening there I may apply. WOnder if they can handle someone who follows the SEC?

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

From what I understand, the Lincolnton paper comes out three days a week. There is an earlier post in this thread (I think it's about the Lincolnton paper) regarding the sports ed leaving and the managing ed moving into that slot....or something like that. So I don't think there is an opening there.
    The Kinston paper is a daily.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Handelsmans also own the Wilmington Sharks, so they've got a lot invested.

Draft saved Draft deleted