1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Kinston, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jun 17, 2013.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Job coming open as SE left for new job...You're a one-man staff w/stringers and an ME that helps out a lot...

Sports Editor (6/17/13)
    The Free Press of Kinston is seeking an energetic sports editor who will be responsible for coverage of prep and community college athletics in Lenoir, Greene and Jones counties. Ideal candidates will have at least two years experience at a daily newspaper or collegiate student newspaper. A strong knowledge of AP style and new media is required. The Free Press covers eight high schools in its three-county area that have won a number of state championships in different sports in the past few years. The Free Press, a Halifax Media Group newspaper with a 10,000 circulation, offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The paper is located in Kinston, a shade over an hour from several beaches, 30 minutes from Greenville and less than 90 minutes from Raleigh. To apply, send a resume, cover letter and work samples to Bryan Hanks, managing editor, The Free Press, 2103 N. Queen St., Kinston, NC 28502. You may also e-mail the same package to Bryan.Hanks@Kinston.com. No telephone calls, please.

linkus:

http://www.ncpress.com/ncpa/jobbank.html

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

This is the home of future NBA draft pick Reggie Bullock, for those wondering.

3. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

And veteran Jerry Stackhouse.

4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

and Jerry Stackhouse and Cedric Maxwell.

d'oh! sirtypealot beat me to it

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Also hometown of Jamie Pressly.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Are they any closer to getting another High A ball team?

7. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I saw on that link there's an opening in Lincolnton. Anyone know about that job? Also, in the description is it two years at a daily newspaper or college newspaper mean two years at a daily college newspaper or is that separate and just mean two years at a college newspaper? Sorry if that sounds confusing, just interested in the job and the terms are confusing for me.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if that happened. Kinston doesn't have the population base. Jacksonville or Wilmington would make more sense.

Now as for the gig itself, it's a one-man sports staff with help from stringers. Pagination is done at Jacksonville Daily News. I spoke with Bryan Hanks at the NCPA awards ceremony at UNC. Seems like a nice guy.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They got replaced by a Coastal Plains League team, a wood-bat college summer league. Probably about right for them and their facility, unless the SAL has a team that needs to move in a hurry (the Appalachian is too far west).

10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I'm not familiar with the Lincolnton gig, though that seems to have been posted (on the company website) about three weeks ago. As far as this job goes, I assume they want someone with daily experience at a college paper. I could be wrong though. It is worded a little weird. If you're interested, go ahead and apply. What's' the worst that can happen?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think there's a good chance the Sally League team in Hagerstown moves, but it sounds like Fredericksburg, Va., is the most likely destination. Like somebody said, if you wanted to bring a Class A team to the region, Wilmington would be a more desirable location.

12. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I can't remember if Wilmington has a capable facility or not but they voted down a proposed downtown ballpark within the last year or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted