1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Ketchikan, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From J-jobs:

Company: Ketchikan Daily News
    Position:
    Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 18, 2008
    Job ID: 873008

Description:
    Sports editor in one-person department of family-owned newspaper. Cover high school, middle school and community basketball, baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, track etc. in a small community with an outdoors lifestyle in the Tongass National Forest. Journalism degree or sports reporting experience required. Benefits: paid vacation, profit sharing, 401k, paid holidays, medical and dental insurance, sick leave. Send resume, clips and cover letter to: Tena Williams, Co-Publisher, Ketchikan Daily News, P.O. Box 7900, Ketchikan, Alaska, 99901. tenaw@aptalaska.net.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=873008

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wow. No road access. That'd be an experience, I'd imagine.

3. I'm not in sports, but to me this still sounds like a dream job.

Where does it say no road access?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ketchikan would be a fun post for a season. I doubt you get to travel with the teams much. The good thing is - you won't be putting a lot of miles on your car.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I looked it up on a map. It's on an island in southeast Alaska. Even the airport would require a ferry, it looks like. I had never realized there were so many communities that could only be accessed by boat or airplane. I also never realized Alaska's capital was one of them.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Ketchikan: Would-be home of the Bridge to Nowhere. Average temperature: 45 degrees. More than 20 hours of daylight in June and July.

All that, AND middle-school volleyball.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sign me up!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

First job I ever interviewed for was this one. Straight out of college I was up for an adventure (or just employment) and Ketchikan sounded awesome. Alas, they wouldn't pay for me to come out and visit and I felt I had to see the place first (interview was a phoner; couldn't blame them for not wanting to pick up the tab from Atlanta, Ga., for a snot-nosed kid).

Still haven't been to Alaska but I'd love to go.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm part of (I think) 2 members of AK-SJ. I don't work in Ketchikan, and have never been, so I can't tell you much. You'd cover the King Salmon, who are 3A (small schools) in football 4A (largest classification) in basketball. I've heard the area is absolutely beautiful, but I can't tell you myself.
    They probably aren't going to fly you out to look at the place (my paper didn't either, just too much $$) so you'll have to be ready to go sight-unseen.
    If anyone has any general Alaska questions, I might be able to help.

Edit: with correct classification info.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you are given a notice at 8 p.m. eastern on the first day of the month, that a poll is due on the fourth of the month at noon Eastern, how late are you now?

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Only about 4 hours.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Read a fascinating story about Alaska high school football last year, think it was the NYT. There's a LOT of air travel involved for road games in many parts of the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted