1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Katy (Texas) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From jj.com - $25/30K year.

The Katy Times, an award-winning daily newspaper in Katy, is looking for a sports editor with a passion for community journalism. Experience in InDesign, Photoshop and sports photography is required for this position. Benefit package includes health insurance, vacation and 401(k). Please send resume, along with samples of your writing and layout work, to Terry Schaub at tschaub@katytimes.com.

2. Is this the place where the sports editor a year or so ago posed as some of the athletes he covered so he could get high school girls and their mothers to send him photos?

3. Just read up on it....aaaand it is.

Well, guess I'm not sending a resume THERE. Shame, because it's not a bad job - good area for sports, anyways.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not a bad paper, though, and good high school programs to cover. Far enough from downtown Houston that you've got your own niche, yet close enough for an occasional big city fix.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Traffic to and fro will make it seem plenty far at times. Its local sports site is trying, but a link to a calendar shows no events in the area in January.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know much about this job, but I do know a lot about Houston. And $25-30K ain't a livable wage in Katy unless you've got at least one roommate.

7. cubman

cubman Member

You'd never run out of anything to write about working in sports at that paper. Obviously the football is top notch, and the guys who have been there - during my time in Houston, I knew Georgandis and the late Scott Kaiser specifically - owned that town and were well-respected.
    I don't envy anyone who has to work with the Katy ISD athletic department, though. Athletic directors in the Houston area were getting a lot harder to work with as far as media access when I left there in November 2009, and I have to think it hasn't gotten any better. Katy's AD, who is retiring this year, was at the forefront of that movement. Anybody at the Times had better stay on his good side or they'll have some difficulties.

Draft saved Draft deleted