1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Juneau, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amraeder, Apr 30, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

We still get paid. It's actually the oil companies that pay us. The $$ is tied to oil company profits. We're supposed to have our best Dividend ever this year.

As far as paying to move up here, I couldn't tell you about that one, sorry.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

so how much are does Uncle Sam or whoever pay you to live there?

3. amraeder

It changes from year to year based on how well the oil companies do. Usually it's a little over $1,000 dollars, but they say this could be a record-setting year, pushing the $2,000 range (can't remember for sure the last number I heard but it was in the pretty high $1,000s).

Thing is, though, you have to be there a full year, so they don't just give you a wad of cash at the border like in the Simpson's movie.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Yeah reposting the job means you might be able to slide into this gig without much competition. But it's at the southeastern most point of Alaska so it's remote - even by Alaska standards. Doesn't sound like a gig where you would travel much, but the surrounding area is probably full of interesting things to do.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

The paper's news gigs seemed to have paid more based on previous listings. With the state government and tourism big there, maybe sports, no matter how successful the high school, isn't a priorirty and has a salary (and staff size) to match.

7. amraeder

The surrounding area is some of the most beautiful land in the US, so there's that going for you. And I was asked (yesterday, but I didn't get the e-mail until today) to ask if there's anyone with any questions. I know the area a little bit and I'm in good contact with the current guy, so if you have questions I can give or find answers.

8. Stick2TheScript(s)

Stick2TheScript(s) New Member

What would be a realistic salary for this gig?

Also, if you can't drive into and out of town, how would a new hire move their material posessions there -- like their car!?

Northern Exposure only taught me so much!

9. amraeder

I'm asking about salary and will get back to you on that. As far as material possessions, there's a ferry that you can transport things in on, including your car/uhaul.

10. amraeder

Okay, so I'm told I'll get an e-mail later with more info, but some quick hits from the guy who's leaving:

(There are his points, not mine. He obviously knows a hell of a lot more about this)
    --The parents there (and coaches) actually treat you like a rock star. They love to see you at practice, get to know you very well and almost never, ever complain.

--No one says "no" to you. You've got an idea for the section, a story, the Web site? They'll let you go for it. It will give you freedom to put your stamp on the section.

--They have a travel budget for you. You can go to every state championship tournament in Anchorage (so if you miss the big city lights, you'll get some). It's not just football and basketball, you travel for the soccer and softball tournaments too.

--The current SE will still be around to help you with your transition. He's great people and seems to be moving over to the entertainment side of things for family reasons. You'll have complete freedom to do what you want to do, but he'll just be there in case you have questions.

Anyway, he's trying to track down salary info and I'll pass that along with any more info I get.

11. amraeder

OK one last update before I just sit back and wait for questions:

While I won't paste the salary of the current guy on here, let me just say that it's quite good even considering the cost of living. It's what he's making after 3 years there so I can't say it's exactly what someone will make just coming in.

He also said that he was given $1,500 for moving expenses, so there's that going for you.

a quote from the current SE about his take on the gig:

Sounds like you'll be able to chase all the features you want and that's really cool.

If you're looking for an adventure, I'd definitely suggest this gig.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Thunder Mountain is a bad-ass name for a high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted