1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Juneau, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amraeder, Apr 30, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

From jj
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=916771

Didn't see this on here.

Company: Juneau Empire
    Position:
    Sports editor in beautiful Southeast Alaska
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    June 3, 2008
    Job ID: 916771

Description:
    The Juneau Empire, Alaska‚s capital daily, is seeking someone to head its one-person sports department. The job is ideal for a talented sports reporter eager to take the next step in his or her career. The sports editor is responsible for shaping the Empire‚s print and online coverage, which includes writing, editing and page layout.

The perfect candidate will come in with a plan on how to organize and cover one high school ˜ with a second on the way ˜ along with covering a diverse range of athletic activities that vary from mixed martial arts, marathons, extreme ski and snowboarding competitions, a historic basketball tournament and youth sports.

We want someone who is hardworking, creative and knows how to go beyond the 12-inch gamer. The job also requires someone who enjoys coaching and nuturing freelance reporters. Knowledge of Quark, InDesign and Photoshop is a plus.

Juneau is a waterfront town of 30,000 people in Southeast Alaska. Surrounded by the country‚s largest national forest, it is a great place for outdoors lovers, with opportunities for hiking, salmon and halibut fishing, skiing, snowboarding and kayaking in town.

The Empire is a 7,400 circulation, six-day morning daily.

Mail cover letter, resume, clips and a list of references to Michael Plett, Juneau Empire, 3100 Channel Drive, Juneau, AK, 99801. Contact e-mail: mike.plett@juneauempire.com.

I actually have never been to Juneau, but if I should be able to pull up the answer to just about any question you may have. It just might take me a couple days until I go back to work and can ask around.

The guy who left was good people, can't say I know where he moved on to, though.

Your baby is going to be Juneau-Douglas high school, which is annually a state power in just about everything. Recent football and softball titles jump to mind, but I'm sure I'm missing something. They've been close to title in girl's basketball the past couple of years and they have a stud freshman in girls track.

They're thinking about breaking up Juneau-Douglas into two high schools, that's why the "second on the way" thing.

Like I said, never been there, though I've heard good things (though I'm told it starts to feel very small after a while.)

Anyway, yeah, that's that. I'll try to check back once or twice today to see if anyone has any general questions I might now the answer to. No promises, though.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it starting to feel small, what with it being JUNEAU FREAKING ALASKA and all ...

rb

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no roads into or out of Juneau. Maybe one. Does that mean everything you'd cover would be there in town? How often would the paper spring for away games to keep you from going stir crazy?

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I know they cover the state basketball tournament and state football when the teams get there. I know when Juneau comes up here, we just send them our stories, they don't travel.

I do believe you have to take a ferry or fly to get in and out of Juneau.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm told if you like Seattle weather, subtract 15-20 degrees and you've got Juneau.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska

Named after Joe Juneau. (No, not Joé Juneau, but rather Joe Juneau.)

Winter temps average low 20s at daybreak with high temps in the low 30s. Summer temps run upper 40s in the morning to mid-60s in the afternoon.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had a phone interview there eons ago. You're right about the ferry or flying in thing, least that's what I was told.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Will they pay moving expenses?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No thanks.

I'm holding out for the Yakutsk Bugle.

Sunday's low temperature: 6F.

Of course, it was -57F there a couple of months ago.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Probably not because there is a state law that states that if a company pays your way up and they can you later, they have to move you back to the lower 48.

11. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Is that one chick from Northern Exposure there? If so, I could make the move.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Does the federal government still pay people to live there?

Draft saved Draft deleted