1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Jackson, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Calvin Hobbes, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Parrott

Parrott Guest

OK, children. Let's stop the bickering.

I work in Jackson now as the preps editor, a position I've held for going on three years. The sports editors job is a good spot for someone who wants to step in and work hard an hour from Memphis and 2 1/2 hours from Nashville. It's been tough not having a sports editor for a while, but the potential is still here to win awards. Dan Morris, formerly the SE and winner of multiple APSE awards, has been our interim SE for the past few months in addition to his duties in charge of special projects.

We just added a new full-timer who is splitting time covering the colleges and doing layout. We also have a community writer, a full-time layout guy and a few part-timers.

Just like any other job you'll face some challenges. But anyone discounting this place because it's Gannett or because of what you've heard about it in the past obviously doesn't know what we've been able to do over the past three years. Our last SE did a great job of making this an award-winning section. A few APSE, TPA and TSWA awards aren't too shabby considering our big thing is preps.

And for those wondering: We cover Memphis home football games and will hit select UofM and Memphis Grizzlies basketball games this year, just as we have the past two years. We're also currently doing a project on West Tennessee natives in the NFL.

The opportunity to do good work is possible here. PM me if you have any questions about this spot.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Well Josh, what's the big wait on filling this one? I couldn't imgaine being without an SE for that long.
    Or is it one of those where there really isn't a big rush to fill this since it's been open for so long?

3. Parrott

Parrott Guest

It's as simple as we haven't found what they're looking for. They're not in a rush to just hire anybody. For this important of a hire we've got to get the right person.

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Has the paper come close to hiring someone, only to see them back out?

5. BudMan

BudMan Member

Josh, is the executive editor checking these messages before you post them? Or does he write them for you? For those of you who have never worked for Gannett and don't speak Gannettese, allow me to translate some of his statements:

"The sports editors job is a good spot for someone who wants to step in and work hard ..."

Translation: You will have to work 12 hours a day, seven days a week to have any hope of polishing this turd. And you will have to attend the morning and afternoon budget meetings, because that's a priority.

"Just like any other job you'll face some challenges."

Translation: Such as a shrinking staff, for example. If what Josh says is correct, they have five full-time people working in the Sun sports department (including the interim SE). Less than 10 years ago, they had a staff of eight full-timers, plus three or four part-timers who answered the phones. Maybe the staff cuts are justified: In 1997, the Sun claimed a weekday circulation of 40,000 and a Sunday circulation of 45,000. At present, Gannett admits numbers of 35,219 morning; 40,717 Sunday.

"It's as simple as we haven't found what they're looking for. They're not in a rush to just hire anybody. For this important of a hire we've got to get the right person."

Translation: They haven't been able to find any competent person who's willing to work for the chump change The Sun (and Gannett as a rule) laughingly calls a salary.

If you've always wanted to be a sports editor, here's your chance. But remember that you're dealing with Gannett and keep your eyes open.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I believe I heard from someone that a couple of candidates entertained discussions with the Sun, but that's it. Has anyone been brought in for an interview?

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Looking for the "right person." What EXACTLY does that mean?

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Since the Scarecrow got his brain from the Wizard, perhaps the right person awoke in the nick of time?

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

willing to bet money those guys are stuck an entire year without an SE. and then, because it becomes the norm, roles are changed and positions redefined.
    very sneaky of those Gannett guys.

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

They just re-posted this opening AGAIN. Talk about a place that must suck cocks in hell, to paraphrase The Exorcist.

11. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Avoid at all costs. I know a friend who used to work there. He told me that place is a mess. Heard same thing from others as well. Not too many kind words for this place. It's a hole in the wall.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

They're not trying to fill this one. If they were, it would have been done.
    They're likely offering very little for salary and expecting too much in terms of experience.
    Believe they had one or two people turn it down over the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted