1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Jackson, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Calvin Hobbes, Mar 29, 2007.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I heard they're not even bringing in candidates. seems kid of odd considering how long its been open.

2. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

That's absolutely true. The Sun doesn't give a shit about the Double A team and it is misguided about preps. I can see them borrowing from the Tennesseean on UT - they're blood kin and a trip to K'ville is about six hours from Jackson. But this place is a revolving door from hell....where they expect the SE to attend day budget meetings and night budget meetings because of the self-contained importance of the NEWS department and day shift people who have lost touch with the real business.

3. Faithless

Faithless Member

Just curious .... How many writers and deskers are on the Sun sports staff?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. The SE has to attend day AND night budget meetings? That's a nightmare.

5. RyanStinky

RyanStinky New Member

one of my old college buddies used to work in jackson. he told me they haven't really covered the double a team for a few years because of a lack of interest in the community and just not really having enough writers. he said it didn't help that they had a couple of hires that just didn't pan out (ie unable to do the job from what he was told by those still there).

last he heard they have a sports editor, a prep guy, a college writer/page designer, a full-time designer and a ga writer. he wasn't sure if anything's changed since he left.

say what you want about the place and its "misguided" approach to preps but it's hard to complain with some of the awards they've won. i checked the apse site and they were top 10 sunday two years ago, top 10 daily last year and one of their guys finished third in apse project reporting last year.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

isn't there some rumor that the Double A team might be leaving? I always thought that they do a really good job with preps. And let's face it, there's not a whole lot of interest in Memphis hoops and football in that part of Tennessee. Probably some interest in the grizzlies, but not enough to warrant a full-time beat guy for either. Probably more interest in the Titans than the Grizz. I do know they have been a little standoffish when we've asked them for some help on certain games that crossover into their coverage area.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Gannett's number one priority in the newsroom is meetings. Didn't you know that?

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

and now they have a new desker, and the person primarily responsible for all those APSE awards is gone. Bob was the SE and he won the reporting APSE award as well.

9. RyanStinky

RyanStinky New Member

I did a google search for the jackson sun and the tennessee sports writers association and found one of their other sports guys won some awards last year too.

10. BudMan

BudMan Member

The fact that the AA team is considering leaving due to "a lack of interest" strikes me as a good reason to do some in-depth reporting on the team. Jackson sold its soul to get that team and build that stadium, and I'm not certain that either side ever fully honored its commitments. Covering preps makes good business sense for any newspaper, but staffing middle school games makes no sense at all. Gannett could give a crap about any awards this section wins, as long as the paper makes its 35 percent profit margin every year. "A revolving door from hell" is the perfect way to describe the Sun.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Ryan,
    RS, we get it. you like your job there. And congrats on your awards last year.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, that stadium is less than 5 years old isn't it? Pringle Park. Nice place. Kind of surprising there isn't interest. Not a lot else going on in Jackson most nights. I was stunned to see the paper covers 44 high schools with a circ of 33,000. Seems like a bad ratio.

Draft saved Draft deleted