1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Jackson, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Calvin Hobbes, Mar 29, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

I believe he works on the news side, but is just keeping the SE chair warm until they find someone.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I don't think they're offering relocation expenses. at least that's what the Gannett site says.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty sure (at least) one in-house interview took place. Candidate came from another opening on this board.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jackson has the reputation as a progressive town for its location and size, and it's known as a springboard paper.

(YESSS! Last post on all four boards!)

5. cubman

cubman Member

My now-former editor - he moved on to take another job elsewhere in the South - interviewed at this paper a few months back and was thoroughly unimpressed. Jackson flew him in and put him and his g/f up for two nights. Their circulation is 10,000 to 15,000 higher than our paper, yet they didn't do nearly what we do on high school coverage (not bragging ... this is per his word) and didn't seem to have their stuff together. That I see this job revived now means his gut instinct was correct.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

hasn't this gig been open for at least five months or so?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This place has has tremendous turnover and instability.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I don't know the full story here. But I believe the bird next to my window who's saying "Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!"

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This one is back again on the Gannett website.

10. boots

boots New Member

This used to be a great spot. What is the problem?

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

to start, i'd say part of the problem starts with a G and ends with a T.

12. BudMan

BudMan Member

The job of sports editor at a small Gannett paper is the classic no-win situation. You'd have to be an idiot or a masochist to take this position. Once upon a time, the Sun covered University of Tennessee football and the Tennessee Titans, home and away. The Sun also used to staff Memphis basketball during the Penny Hardaway era. Those days are long gone. Now the Sun publishes middle school football roundups. There's a Class AA baseball team in town and the Sun seldom bothers to staff its home games. And Gannett can't understand why its papers keep losing readers despite the "local-local" focus.

Draft saved Draft deleted