1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Jackson Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rookie23, May 2, 2007.

1. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

From Journalismnext.com

Job Description:
    The Jackson Sun, which was recognized by APSE for a top 10 daily sports section in 2006 and a top 10 Sunday section in 2005, seeks a sports editor. Our readers love prep sports, and our sports editor must possess a vision for delivering top-notch coverage of our high school athletes, plus a strong group of regional colleges and a minor league baseball team. Coaching and page design skills are a must, as is a commitment to delivering sports news across multiple platforms.

The Sun’s coverage area in West Tennessee includes 44 high school football programs, 90 prep basketball teams and seven area colleges, plus the University of Memphis and occasional staffing of the University of Tennessee football program. Our high schools consistently challenge for, and often win, state championships. Since 1990, Jackson has been host city for the 32-team NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Championship, which draws schools nationwide. Jackson schools have won the last three tournaments ‹ Union University twice and Lambuth University. Jackson is home to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, Double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. The team plays in 6,000-seat Pringles Park, which opened in 1998. Jackson consistently produces star athletes, including four current NFL players ‹ Denver linebacker Al Wilson, New York Jets' center Trey Teague, Buffalo Bills cornerback Jabari Greer and Minnesota Vikings' lineman Artis Hicks. Also from our coverage area are Green Bay lineman Chad Clifton and Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis, who will likely be a first-round draft choice this year.

Send a cover letter, resume, and clips showing your writing and design abilities to Steve Coffman, executive editor, The Jackson Sun, 245 W. Lafayette St., Jackson, TN 38301, or scoffman@jacksonsun.com

2. boots

boots New Member

This one comes open about every three years.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Fixed.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Inside source says this is a high turnover paper....and lateral or downward moves have resulted for several.

But then it's not a Paxton or CNHI gig, is it?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

I heard they don't cover the D-Jaxx anymore. It's a nine-county paper that is woefully understaffed. But who isn't these days?

Also, someone once said of Jackson: "If Tennessee needed an enema, they'd insert it in Jackson."

I'd say Memphis, but to each his/her own.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

UPDATE: Patrick Willis WAS a first-round draft choice this year. At least they predicted that correctly.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's Gannett, or was three years ago when I interviewed there. The SE took a job elsewhere about 4 days after I interviewed, FWIW.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Jackson is still Gannett.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think they do win some APSEs, however.
    Jackson is not the worst place in the world -- to live or work. memphis and nashville are short drives, St. Louis is maybe 3 1/2 hours. Not sure what all they do with UT and memphis football and basketball. Jackson to Knoxville is a pretty good haul.

10. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

My view from a distance: They don't do crap with the Vols or Memphis. You have access to the Tennessean stuff (sometimes) and you're expected to use it. When I come across their scribes, they have a I-hate-my-job karma about them.

There is a reason this paper has incredibly high turnover. It is a burnout situation. I interviewed years ago and was told come expect to work your ass off for two years and we'll get you to a bigger paper.

It's a good gig for an ambitious single workaholic.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Guess they didn't get anyone they liked the first go-round.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/39334/

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

not necessarily. some rookie re-posted like 10 job ads that were already on here. This one isn't new. The kid posting it is just stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted