1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Jackson, MS (Clarion-Ledger)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The person I was referring to worked in news. I don't know what the situation is in sports.

Unfortunately, the slashing of sports staffs isn't limited to Gannett. We've gone from nine to four in my shop, with one of those four working remotely on a major college beat, and somehow we still manage to paginate our own section.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I assume it's part of the restructuring in every Gannett newsroom. Not a robust press criticism outlet in Jackson - as compared to, say, the Nashville Scene's treatment of The Tennessean - so this tree fell without most folks hearing it.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, every sports staff I know if is at least half what it was 7 or 8 years ago. But unless something drastic happened, I don't think Creglow was "fired." If he was laid off after such a great showing at APSE, that is just brutal. As someone else said, just goes to show that quality is the least of the worries in the journalism world. And it's not just Gannett.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Anyone care to ballpark the pay? It's Gannet, so I'm thinking somewhere around $18,000

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

For a sports editor? Yikes! That sounds awfully low.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think he was joking. I'd guess somewhere in the upper 30s or low 40s.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I would think the higher end of that, but that sounds better.

8. DeskMonkey1

I would think it would be more middle to upper 40s....but this is Gannett. If they pay you too much, they'll just can you in a year, anyway.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Although I have no experience with Ganett, that sounds low, too.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was thinking closer to 50k too, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 40-ish.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd love to tackle that challenge, in the abstract, but it would take $70K to get me out of the shop I'm in to such an uncertain situation. Laughable, I guess, but we all have our price. | The real number? Probably 45.

12. DeskMonkey1

Adjusting for cost of living, that's probably on par on what I'm making here in the midwest. Maybe a little more. Except I'm not the boss

Draft saved Draft deleted