1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amoney, Jul 29, 2008.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

J-school never prepares you for small-market jobs. Everyone starts off the the N.Y. Times or Chicago Tribune if you talk with professor Numbnuts. That's the same Numbnuts that believes his textbook (that he had a part in writing) is more valuable than writing for an actual newspaper. The same Numbnuts that was nothing more than a glorified freelancer before becoming a professor at J-school U.

J-school is right. Nothing prepares you for Yuma or Muncie or Beaumont or Idaho Falls.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Muncie is Shangri-La compared to Yuma. Though I may be overstating things.

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Overstating. I lived in both and I'll take Yuma over Muncie. I can't believe I just said that but I'll take the Colorado River, the desert and the weather over the White River, rolling hills and snow any day.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, you do live in Bako so you have a tolerance for desert, obviously.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Bakersfield has the Condors.

5. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Born and raised 15 minutes from Muncie, so you'd think I have a tolerance for snow-covered roads, frosty windshields, frozen fingertips and layers, lots and lots of layers. NOPE. I'll take a polo shirt, shorts and flip-flops.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Like HoosierLoser, I can speak to life in both Yuma and Muncie, although Hoosier's info is more current than mine....

Yuma and Muncie? Six of one, half-dozen of the other. With Yuma, you've got shorts, flip-flops, golf in January and so very fine Mexican food, but all you'll get to cover is bad high school sports in a city that doesn't really care outside of the Yuma-Kofa football game, a juco and some indie baseball, and you'll have to deal with a 1 a.m. closing time, as well. With Muncie, you're stuck with cornfields, a burned-out south half of a city in decline and the occasional big snowstorm, but you also have some strong high school basketball and volleyball (with actual fans, no less), a D-I school that more often than not will have a football or basketball team making some noise, and a 3 a.m. closing time in a college town.

Advantage, with apologies to Nick Bakay: Push.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yuma wins because when you factor in the cost of living and put that with your salary, you come out ahead.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I guess the majority of my Yuma intelligence came courtesy of my cousin, who lived at the Marine barracks there and repeatedly emphasized that Yuma had the ugliest women he had ever seen in his life. Of course, he went to school at UW-Madison, so this may have warped his perspective.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, fuck, those wisconsin girls are so hot, i can see how.

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Yuma had some attractive girls but most were smart enough to leave the city out of high school. A few sexy nurses, teachers infiltrated Yuma proper because of recruitment from the hospital, schools; so you just have to get lucky.

Carl, your buddy the marine probably has no love for J-Lo. If he's into Wisconsin girls (Scandinavian blonds), Yuma wouldn't be for him. Of course, my wife is a blond Scandinavian (from Minnesota) that I met while I was in Yuma (she's a teacher!).

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this thread is worthless without pictures ... ;)

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Hee! No. I was a news-side slave. Never went anywhere near an editor's seat. My exit was maybe a month or two before Jungman's, so I can't give a first-hand account.

Draft saved Draft deleted