1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amoney, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Writer414

Writer414 New Member

"Anyway, papers this size usually fill these positions in-house."

That's apparently the way the paper is leaning of now. But it is still running the ad in the classified section every day, with the same deadline of August 15. Go figure.

I don't know who they're looking at besides someone at the paper and perhaps one other candidate.

2. El Mas Chingon

El Mas Chingon New Member

3. They just shifted someone over to fill the opening in-house and wasted everyone else's time who applied for an opening that never really existed.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, Odessa has hired two folks in the past 4 months or so.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks. that's what i thought.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Does this open up a reporter spot or will they continue the prep season with a three-man staff? It's doable in this market, if you want to call it that.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who?

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

With no knowledge of the situation, but almost two years of purgatory in Yuma, I'd bet money they bumped up a reporter (who gets over-time) to an editor (who does not). Or they shifted another editor with a background in sports over (gutting the new media section, or maybe he's doing both!). If whoever got it is one of the two I think it was, good for them. The sports desk had some good people on it when I left (from what I saw from news side).

As for Yuma...I've been gone for several months. I quit before the lay-offs (just in time, apparently!), knowing full well what a mess the j-market was in and how hellish it was to move in AZ during the dog days of summer. I did not care. It was time to be gone.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and whataya doin' now?

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Outta the industry. ;)

But making more money in a stable job in a genuine city that allows me to have a real life. So at the end of the day I can handle the trade-off. It was a little bit heart-breaking, as I liked reporting but...it's the times. And my j-school dreams never talked about the Yuma. :p They really should put Yuma and Roswell and the rest in the text books. So many valuable lessons.

I will miss the convenient border crossing. And the especial...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i tip my cap, my friend for being smart enough to sense the future and make it pay off for you.

i hope you find time to drop me a PM and tell me specifically what you're doing and what city you are living in.

congrats.

12. Anyone know what happened to Jungman? Or is J-School Blue him?

Draft saved Draft deleted