1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amoney, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

A fun group when I worked there, and fairly talented as well. One works for the Reno Gazette-Journal the other at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Not bad gigs for two guys under 30. I will say Yuma can wear you out. It's hot and there is very little to do for a sports reporter because most of the bars are closed by 1 a.m. maybe 2 on the weekends. Plus the bars that are there, really aren't that much fun. You'll also find it difficult to find non-ugly women. They are out there, but you must look very, very hard. Phoenix and San Diego are within driving distance, but you don't have much money to spend at either destination. You won't get much direction there either unless you're lucky and work for a guy like I did. But there's not a lot of talent in that newsroom across the board with regard to the Yuma lifers.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As someone wiser than me once said, and I have said several times since, so is my oven, and I don't sit in it.

3. They print a lot of papers, but this time of year, many burst into flames on people's front steps.

4. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I took the 3:10 train there once. Dangerous stuff.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

my brother missed the train. poor guy.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Just to let you all know this position became open because management is firing several people to cut costs, because like so many other newspaper owners, Freedom Inc. is going in the tank.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I guess it's a good thing I recently left a Freedom shop.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

you and me both, brother.

9. the champ

the champ Member

That doesn't make much sense in that this position was filled not too long ago so the outgoing SE could not have been making too much. And they're obviously looking to fill the position, thus they're not going to save a whole lot.

10. bloggin

bloggin New Member

I've known several journalists who started here and advanced to big papers.
    Those were the days. That said...I knew a guy who worked there and started somewhere in the low $20,000 range. He talked about how the sportswriters would play Wiffle Ball in the parking lot after deadline and how hot it was in the summer. That said, it's hard to believe they could offer someone less than $20,000, right?

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Going in the tank? Freedom went in the tank when the company brought in equity partners. Company founder R.C. Hoiles, who believed in treating his "associates" like family, would be stunned if he saw how his company was being run these days.

12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Champ,

It doesn't make much sense to me either, but I also know that the photo editor and a few others were let go as recently as today. My guess is that the SE position paid in the high 20s or low 30s. So money could be saved if they get someone to take the job in the low 20s. BUt in my opinion some of the higher ups at this company needed to go, but we all know that is rarely a reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted