1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in South Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

Valley Freedom Newspapers, three papers with a combined circulation of 90,000 daily and 110,000 Sunday in the rapidly growing Rio Grande Valley, is looking for a dedicated, energized sports editor to lead the East Valley sports department.

Our ideal candidate has excellent organizational and communication skills and knows how to motivate a staff of five full-timers along with manage a staff of stringers. This person should embrace the idea of regionalization among three sports departments — in the daily sports sections and online — and help plan future projects in the Valley-wide department.

The candidate should have at least five years experience including supervisory roles.
    The position will be based out of The Herald in Brownsville with a two-person sports department in the largest city in the Valley, and also will oversee the three-person sports staff at the Valley Morning Star, which is a 20-minute drive away in Harlingen. The regional sports department also includes The Monitor in McAllen, a one-hour drive from Brownsville.

With the growth of the Valley there also has been a sports boom. The Valley is home to the NBA D-League’s RGV Vipers, the Central Hockey League’s RGV Killer Bees, arenafootball2’s RGV Dorados, a pair of Independent baseball teams, a soaring boxing market and a pair of colleges that play athletics (Division I Texas-Pan American and NAIA Texas-Brownsville/Southmost College).

High school sports, however, continue to be the bread and butter of the 11-person regional sports department, which is evident by the recent launch of RGVSports.com The Magazine, a full-color, 72-page quarterly high school sports magazine.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, a 401K and a profit sharing program. Fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not a requirement.

If you are interested in joining our team, please send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Marci Caltabiano-Ponce, editor of The Brownsville Herald, and Wade Baker, Valley Freedom Newspapers’ executive sports editor. Mailed copies can be sent to Caltabiano-Ponce at: The Herald, 1135 E. Van Buren St., Brownsville, TX 78520 and to Baker at: The Monitor, 1400 E. Nolana Loop, McAllen, TX 78504.

You also may e-mail your resume to: marci@brownsvilleherald.com and wbaker@themonitor.com.

For further information, you may contact Baker at (956) 683-4450.

Valley Freedom Newspapers is an Equal Opportunity employer. Non-U.S. citizen’s wishing to apply for this position must already be in possession of a valid work visa and other appropriate documentation.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Wondering what a gig like this would pay.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

15k or more.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

There had been an ad for an SE gig in Brownsville, and this one says the SE would be in charge of three papers. Yet, in one place it says there would be a staff of five and 11 (including the bigger McAllen, I would presume) in another. Three papers within an hour is doable from a regional perspective, but the specifics would need to be worked out (is there an ASE at all three places, common pages, different deadlines for shared games).

5. Baker

Baker New Member

There is an East Valley and West Valley sports editor, plus the executive sports editor. In total, it's a staff of 11 across the Valley. The East Valley sports editor oversees the staff at The Herald and Valley Morning Star, combined circulations of around 40,000 daily (and 20 minutes apart). They have individual sports sections. Any more questions, let me know.

6. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Pretty good stop, and Freedom's not a bad company. SE is solid, as his his No. 2. IM me with questions.

7. Bring your sunscreen, and shorts, and sunglasses.

8. Gator Bait

Gator Bait New Member

seems like a good job. googled it, and brownsville is right on the beach and it looks like it's only minutes from mexico. sounds like fun to me.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Ah, Brownsville. Former home of the legendary Seth Burton.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wade Baker is good people. There are others I know who would say the same.

Freedom appears to be one chain that hasn't resorted to massive cuts. Some consolidation in some areas, but it has minimized cuts.

If I had any brain cells left, I should consider taking a swing at this one myself, but I think I ran out. Apply now.

Good luck, Wade.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Freedom was by far the best chain I worked for. Would go back if i could.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

freedom is a great chain. plus, no drug tests!

Draft saved Draft deleted