1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Roanoke Rapids, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Short distance away from the heart of the ACC? It's further than that. This is not exactly in a metro area.

We are a six-day a week newspaper in the heart of a growing Valley offering a variety of outdoor activities including two lakes and the Roanoke River all in a region that is changing and growing. We cover sports in four school districts, several private schools and numerous community and city leagues. We sponsor own basketball tournament and are committed to community coverage and providing our readers with the best in sports. We are a short distance away from NASCAR venues and the heart of the ACC, Tobacco Road. This is a full-time, salaried position reporting to the managing editor. The sports editor is responsible for overseeing the newspaper’s sports coverage, reporting on local events, writing features, designing the pages and supervising the work of the sports reporter, photographer and stringers. The job requirements include: • Strong writing and editing skills. • Strong people skills and a commitment to community journalism. • A love of ALL sports. • A working knowledge of Word and QuarkXPress. • The successful candidate will have newspaper experience including writing, reporting and design. If you are interested in this position, send you resume to Managing Editor John Moeur at P.O. Box 520, Roanoke Rapids NC 27870 or via e-mail at johnmoeur@rrdailyherald.com.

2. Pi

Pi Member

This will be their third SE in less than a year. They must have the obnoxious meter on high over at RRHS.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I don't have first-hand knowledge of Roanoke Rapids, but both Bill Barnhart and Ted Newman worked there before they went to Rocky Mount, and both were glad to make the move.

There's not much to the town -- you're basically stuck with Roanoke Rapids High School, the Halifax County compass points schools and Halifax Academy -- and community sports.

I'm trying to think if I ever saw Barnhart at an ACC or ECU game during that time -- if he did, it was a rare situation, perhaps following a Ro-Rap grad for a feature.

I would think you've got a better chance of getting covered by dust at the old Brinkleyville Speedway than you have going to Richmond to cover NASCAR.

If you're just out of school and need to pad the resume, perhaps you might consider this one. But go on to it with the idea of getting some good clips and getting out.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've probably made this point before, but for those unfamiliar with the area: think extreme southern Virginia more than North Carolina. RR is like 10 minutes from the Va. border and closer to Richmond than any of NC's bigger cities. Not a garden spot, that's for sure.

5. Kable

Kable Member

I was wondering if this job is still open?

6. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I have grandparents that live close to Roanoke Rapids. The Virginian-Pilot seems to do better there than the News & Observer in Raleigh.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's odd. The Pilot is a good bit away from RR, and while its N.C. bureau goes fairly far west in the NE corner of the state, I didn't think it went that far. I would have guessed the Times-Dispatch would do better than the Pilot. But hey, the things you learn.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I was mainly referring to Northampton County, which is just below Franklin, Va. I've been through there a lot. Outside of I-95, I haven't been through Roanoke Rapids that much.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That makes sense. Southampton County, Va., and Franklin are in their westernmost coverage area.

Draft saved Draft deleted