1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Missouri

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jla74m, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Dale Brendel is now The Globe's publisher. Knew him back in the day when he was editor at The Examiner in Independence (Mo.). Pretty good guy.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thought about Joplin. It checks some of the boxes, especially the successful teams on a state level part. But I never saw their SE (or any sports writers) responsible for taking photos, so I think they are out.

That's a pretty solid shop, too, and I would be stunned if they would handle a hiring situation like this.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Must have to sign an NDA before you take the interview? This is so weird

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Poplar Bluff seems to come open a lot, so that could be one, any GannetHouse looking to rid themselves of an SE they're paying low 40s to so they can hire someone for 35K is always a good bet.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd would have loved to make $35K. In about 25 years, I never made more than $27K.

Liut and bumpy mcgee like this.
  6. Sports Barf

Um....holy shit? How?

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Cheap-ass small-town paper. But I liked working there until the last three years and I had some relatives in the area. I started in 1995 at about $14K, left in 2002. Came back the following year for $20K.

Following that, new owners came in. There'd be small raises here and there but the only big ones I ever got were to avoid paying me overtime when the laws governing salaried positions changed (the first of which bumped up from $20K to just over $23K; I don't remember the effect of the second one).

Also, I was in Southeast Kansas which has a shitty economy. $27K was doable there.

What really sucks is that I had an easier time making it on $14K in '94 than I did at $27K in 2018.

Liut likes this.
  8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I hope you were furiously sending out your resume...I get 27k is doable...but damn that isn't the goal lol.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've never worked full-time for a newspaper without a side hustle. Never.

Liut likes this.
  10. adcs2

adcs2 Member

Working for a newspaper WAS my side hustle

TigerVols, Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  11. Sports Barf

Any updates on this? Will there be any Chiefs, Royals, Cardinals, Blues, Sporting KC, Mizzou or Saint Louis U coverage involved with this role?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You will ride around the Midwest in the Missouri State baseball team’s van. Enjoy the truck stops.

Draft saved Draft deleted