1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor in Ketchikan, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by I Should Coco, Apr 13, 2009.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

On the upside of the gas being so expensive there (along with everything else), is Ketchikan is a fairly compact community. It became a nice stop for the cruise ships because it was easy to get off the ship and shop. Most of the town is within walking distance, or at worst a short drive.

Still not sure that makes it worth it.

2. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I've seen this job a few times on this site. As I've said before, it would be a great place to go for someone looking to get any type of start in the business. I've been to Ketchikan -- and it was actually sunny that day -- and it was beautiful.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The former SE there is moving onward and outward of the biz. He was a young guy who cut his teeth well while there.

It's a great starting point with some unique stories to follow and a good HS basketball following ... though the state of the industry makes you wonder what kind of a career you would be starting.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I was going to apply, but I'm not comfortable working in such close proximity to Russia.

5. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I think I saw him on a street corner with one of those "will write for food" signs. Said that endeavor paid better than his previous gig. :))

Draft saved Draft deleted