1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor in Fargo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by middleman, Apr 3, 2008.

1. middleman

middleman New Member

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, an award-winning 50,000 daily circulation newspaper on the border of Minnesota and North Dakota, seeks a sports editor with excellent leadership and organizational skills to lead a full-time staff of 11.

The Forum, a family owned newspaper, is annually rated one of the best in both states. The sports section was recently named honorable mention for its Sunday section by APSE in the 40,000-100,000 circulation category.

Fargo-Moorhead is home to three colleges, including Division I North Dakota State (a Gateway Football Conference and Summit League member). The Bison will be NCAA-tournament eligible next year for the first time. F-M is also home to a Northern League independent baseball team with one of the nicest minor league stadiums in the country and will soon be home to a USHL hockey team and a $30 million arena. We also take prep coverage very seriously with eight metro high schools and around 100 high schools in our wide coverage area.

With a vibrant and growing population, Fargo-Moorhead is routinely listed as one the best places to live and raise a family. Newsweek, The Los Angeles Times and "The Today Show" have all showcased Fargo's hip and happening downtown.

Only those seriously committed to providing a great and dynamic locally driven sports section should apply. We're looking for someone with 5+ years of experience, preferably in a supervisory role. Salary based on experience and expertise.

Send a resume and letter of introduction to:

Jason Miller
    Deputy Editor
    The Forum
    Box 2020
    101 5th St. N.
    Fargo, ND 58107

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    jmiller@forumcomm.com.

Deadline for applications is May 1.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A 50,000 circ. paper with a staff of 11 sounds pretty nice.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I wish I could go after this. Sounds like a great gig. Good luck to any SportsJournalists.com folks applying.

4. middleman

middleman New Member

Our section is very nicely staffed and we're equipped with a lot of things. We have a company jet that flies a reporter (sometimes two), a columnist and a photographer to all North Dakota State football road games. All the reporters are equipped with broadband cards for their laptops for remote filing from anywhere and we get lots of space (6 pretty wide-open pages each weekday and 10-12 on Sunday). It's a good situation (and I'm not just saying that). We're family owned and still very profitable. Job security here is as good as any newspaper around because we're the flagship of the company and we do well in our market. If anyone has any questions, they can e-mail me at jmiller@forumcomm.com.

5. Jump on this job, folks. Fargo is underrated (although a bit remote), it's a good paper and you'd be working with good people.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ya. You betcha. 8)

7. Fisch

Fisch Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Good staff, nice people and the weather isn't that bad ... once you get used to it. If you have any questions about the place, feel free to ask me.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Former ME in Fargo became the ME in Richmond about a year before I left. She seemed to like it there.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe that's "Ya, sure. You betcha."

Then you head over to the Chatterbox or Club 747 (or club 707, I forget, oh for stupid) for beers.

Good paper. Highly underrated city. And very cold in the winter.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

any movement on this one? heard some contact was made but all's been silent recently.

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

a company jet?? good lord that's gotta be a joke right?

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Nope.

Draft saved Draft deleted