1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor (Immediate Need)- Guymon, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=915504

Company: Guymon Daily Herald
    Position:
    Sports Editor Needed Immediately
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 18, 2014
    Job ID: 915504

Description:

The Guymon Daily Herald, an award winning, six day daily afternoon paper, located in the Oklahoma Panhandle, has an opening for a Sports Editor. This position requires covering 8 high schools in our local area, as well as a neighboring college. Writing and pagination skills required, Indesign is used to paginate pages, some photography skills helpful. Daily pages and special sections will be required of this position. this is pretty much a one man show. There are a few stringers that help out, but the job is primarily that of the Sports Editor. Salary based on experience. This is a full-time position, and night and weekend work will be necessary. Contact: Allison Gipe, Publisher. 580-338-3355 Interested candidates should send copies of their resumes to Allison Gipe, Publisher, at PO BOX 19, Guymon, OK, 73942 or fax to 580-338-5000 to their attention. Resumes may also be e-mailed to publisher@guymondailyherald.com. For More information-Phone: 580.338.3355.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd consider that if I wasn't here. Life in the panhandle sounds unique.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Either Guymon or McAllen, Texas, is the opening posted on here the most, it seems.

If you draw a map of nowhere, and put a pin in the middle, that's the Oklahoma panhandle.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yep, as my daddy used to say, there ain't nuthin' out there, and there's a whole lot of it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You've never been to Wyoming, have you? It makes Guymon seem like a metropolis by comparison.

I've driven through Wyoming and was praying hard that my car didn't break down (it didn't) because no one was around for miles and miles.

6. HandsomeHarley

Actually, I've been to Wyoming. Some beautiful country up there. I wouldn't want to live there, though.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd swear this is about the 10th time Guymon's been looking for an SE in the past five or six years. There has to be a lot more wrong there than just the isolation.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, it's a CNHI property in a small town. Plenty of red flags.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Not currently. Horizon Publications bought it years ago.

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Yeah well it's what, about 50 miles across? You can be in Nowhere, Texas, Colo., or Kan., in little time.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which panhandle has more going on, Texas or Okie?

12. HandsomeHarley

Definitely Texas, if only because of Amarillo.

Draft saved Draft deleted