1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Idaho Statesman (Boise, ID)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Looking for a Digitally focused Sports Editor

The Idaho Statesman in Boise is looking for an experienced sports editor who knows how to engage readers with sharp storytelling and who can reframe traditional sports reporting for current and future audiences. This new leader can perceive the broader impact of sports in the Treasure Valley and can find ways to bring more voice, including his or her own, to our sports coverage.

She/he will oversee an award-winning staff of five reporters who work in real time to bring the best sports news to the Boise market and beyond. The Statesman has consistently been awarded for its coverage in local, national and regional contests.

Our focus is on digital publishing with a vigorous presence in social media. Video is a key initiative for us and experience with video storytelling on websites and Facebook Live is a plus. Breaking sports news, producing engaging enterprise and applying a creative approach to beats are priorities. A deep understanding of social media’s role in sports content promotion and audience growth is required and experimenting is encouraged. Identifying sports news aggregation opportunities is another way we could attract more readers. Excellent communication and planning skills are a key part of this role.

While a digital focus is key, our print sections still need a creative approach. The new sports editor will oversee five special sections annually. The editor will coordinate with a production center each day to ensure print production meets our newsroom goals. The sports team should be contributing stories that are worthy of A1, the Depth section and the top of the website.

Other duties might include assisting with editing/overseeing reporters on the real-time news team. Hours are variable and weekend shifts are likely during some parts of the year.

The Statesman gets more than 8 million digital views per month. Coverage runs the gamut from major college sports to minor-league hockey and baseball to a dynamic high school sports scene. Our new (and thriving) beat, Playing Outdoors, covers recreational hiking/biking and a year-round urban recreation scene that’s unique to Boise. We also want our coverage to go beyond the field, to explore the economic and community impact that thriving sports operations have.

The fast-growing Treasure Valley is a special place to live and work. Surrounded by beautiful foothills, Boise has consistently been named one of the most livable cities in the U.S. If you love sports, rafting, hiking, camping, biking or skiing, this is the place for you.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I understand the Statesman recently sent all its page production offsite (referred to in the ad as the "production center.")

Not sure where that is, but you can bet print deadlines were adjusted accordingly. Interesting times in Boise, for sure.

3. bourq25

bourq25 Member

Wonder where Mike Prater is off to? He's been the Sports Editor in Boise for several years.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That was the same question I had. I talked to Mike when they had a columnist opening a few years back. Hope all is well.

EDIT: Turns out Mike is okay. If you want to read the full missive go to his Facebook page, but he is stepping down after 28 years. He goes into detail about a lot of the changes at the Statesman. He's going to keep his other job at KTIK in Boise; I believe he's a co-host on an afternoon sports show.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted