1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, May 14, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Heard they are down to their final two.

2. Shane_213

Shane_213 New Member

3. HandH

HandH New Member

He'd get my vote.

Seriously, though, I'm hearing now that it's down to two, as well, and they're both in-house folks.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Let's eliminate a large chunk of USPS income and email space by establishing this law on hiring:

You don't have to post an opening of a job when you know damn good and well you'll hire from within. Just stop the bullshit. Ninety percent of job openings are solved this way. Nothing wrong with hiring from within, but damn, stop the pretenses.

5. HandH

HandH New Member

I dunno, man. I think sometimes a company just wants to see what else is out there. Maybe they know they have a pretty good in-house candidate but they're testing the waters to see if there's anyone out there that blows their guys out of the sky. (Sorry, mixing metaphors. It's my Monday morning).

Granted. If you KNOW it's going to take Ron Mathews leaving the P-I in Seattle to move to Idaho Falls and take the job for your in-house guy to lose out, then yeah. Probably shouldn't post it. But if you're not sure.. I don't think there's anything wrong with covering your bases.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

So what you're saying is not one is too eager to move to eastern Idaho?

7. HandH

HandH New Member

Plenty of people were eager, I guess.. I was told they got at least a dozen serious applications, not counting the ones they didn't consider. Guess they just liked their own guys better. Who knows.

8. House

House Guest

Nothing to be too upset about. When my old SE left, he told us exactly what would happen: SE from smaller daily in the chain less than 200 miles away will get the job.

Sure, the management made a big show of posting for the job (two months after the SE quit), but small daily SE was the only guy interviewed (and hired another month or so after the posting). Of course, old SE was right about everything.

The rest of the dept. would have been fine had they just said that up front. We knew it didn't matter because management doesn't care about our opinions on anything.

9. HandH

HandH New Member

Talking to one of the guys that works there, he says he genuinely thinks management really doesn't know what they want to do. Neither in-house candidate has managerial experience, but they've both been outstanding in their staff jobs (one's a writer, one's a paginator). Management was looking for someone with more experience, but it looks like they didn't find anyone they were really fond of from outside.

I do agree, though.. if you know you're going to go a certain direction, but you have to post the job and all to meet quota requirements or whatever, you should at least tell the people you're affecting what you're going to do. Not fair to leave them hanging. But then again, when was the last time anyone higher-up did anything fair? :)

10. House

House Guest

The staff were told that the position wouldn't be held open for budget reasons. New SE said he was told he wouldn't officially get the job for nearly four months for budget reasons.

I kinda feel bad for the new editor. He was under the impression that he'd do story planning, editing, writing, important SE work. Instead, he absorbed the design duties and hasn't had time for any of that. Two weeks into the job, he's disillusioned.

Fair or not fair, it's still frustrating that we were lied to from the start.

11. HandH

HandH New Member

I can understand that. I guess all you can do is plug away at it until you can get out of there and go work for someone who tells the truth once in a while. They do exist -- hard to believe, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted