1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor I Daily Citizen-News (Dalton, Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GAJJ1980, Jul 22, 2018.

1. GAJJ1980

GAJJ1980 New Member

The Daily Citizen-News, a newspaper in Dalton, Georgia, has an opening for a sports editor in a two-person sports department. Our focus is on local sports in our two-county area, which includes eight high schools and Dalton State College, an NAIA program which won the 2015 NAIA Division I men's basketball championship. We also publish a weekly high school football section during the regular season. Along with strong writing skills, knowledge of AP style and an ability to shoot and edit video, you should have a background in layout and design. Only candidates with extensive pagination experience will be considered. Send a cover letter, résumé and writing/pagination samples (three of each) to managing editor Jamie Jones at jamiejones@daltoncitizen.com. No phone calls please.

2. cbh07

cbh07 New Member

I was in the sports department here for 2 1/2 years. This is a great spot for someone looking for a fun challenge or a jump to a daily. Dalton has some great sports. Three schools have won boys soccer state championships in the last four years and Dalton HS is consistently ranked as one of the top schools in the nation. Friday night football is massive and always a handful of D1 players throughout the coverage area. And Dalton State is consistently competing for national championships.

The biggest thing I can say about working there though is the people. The coaches are great and very giving with their time. Jamie is awesome to work for. He’s a huge sports fan himself and is passionate about the section and local sports and just an all-around great guy. The city editor victor will make you a better writer. I guarantee that. Really, the entire staff is top notch. Except for maybe Whitfield, the guru of gridiron guessing as he likes to call himself :)

There are challenges that come with it just like any small town daily these days. But the cost of living in Dalton is incredibly low and you would be hard pressed to find a job that will challenge you more and make you a better journalist while working with some awesome people. Highly recommend this position.

rico_the_redneck likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted