1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Huntington, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 26, 2009.

1. afriend

afriend New Member

Here is the article:

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Bob Sanders is an f'n beast, but that's for another day. Interesting blog entry as it relates to the position...

http://heraldpress.blogspot.com/2010/01/another-staffer-jumps-ship.html

Quote: "Paxton Media had some strange ideas about sports. Obviously, it had a low priority. They also stressed coverage of elementary and youth sports, figuring that parents and grandparents of the youngest athletes were a huge untapped potential for newspaper sales."

5 p.m. deadlines? Covering elementary school sports? I'm never complaining about my job again.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I can see what he's aiming at, but he doesn't pull it off. A bad idea, especially coming in as a new guy. No sympathy though...it's what you get when trying to hire young simply to cut costs.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The premise isn't flawed, though the execution needed an editor's touch. But I love the way he's running through the wall full-speed. Got to imagine there's a wall somewhere with a cut-out of him in it.

5. Busman37

Busman37 New Member

For his next piece, he should say people who are into high school sports are idiots. Same effect, just more victims.

I found it amusing that I have a decade of media experience and a number of HSPA awards but couldn't get an interview ... or call back. Oh well, I guess I won't have to cover any fourth-grade volleyball.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

no doubt...busman...same boat here. Obviously looking for someone on the cheap, so they just hired on the fill-in-the-gap kid. At least the readers can tell and are responding appropriately.

7. calbears812

calbears812 New Member

In the kid's defense, we were all young at one point, and after the early hate-overload, it's not a bad column at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted