1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, May 6, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

From journalismjobs.com

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You may want to change the thread title, for a second I thought the Chronicle's sports editor had left.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know. But it makes you pause initially when you see that title. That is all.

4. sportschick

I'm not changing it, dammit!

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's because you like to make hearts skip beats.

6. sportschick

It's what I do best :-* :-* :-*

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Whew, for a minute I was thinking, there go the hands of Texas hold 'em.

Jesus lives! ;)

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Mine did.
    Praise Jesus, right, Football Bat?

9. So has anyone heard of this group?

10. cubman

cubman Member

What I know is HCN runs nearly all the weekly newspapers in and around metro Houston, including a few small dailies out as far as Cleveland, Texas, an hour or so from the city. They seem like a reputable business, but I'll be the first to say what I've seen of their layouts is not good and some of the writing leaves things to be desired.
    Someone from the Houston area would probably have more to add.

11. zman82

zman82 Member

just curious if anyone knows what this might pay? looks like there's about 10 weeklies so that's a lot of youngns to be steering in the right direction if the money ain't great. and don't even get me started on the mosquitos in h-town.

12. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

The pay is no more than 26. This particular group is actually a group of five weeklies that you'll cover. You cover 10 high schools, and one local af2 team, the Texas Copperheads. It covers two school districts, including Cy-Fair, the third-largest in TX. You design your own pages (3 pages per issue), manage stringers, write stories, take photos, etc. It's in the heart of northwest Houston, so it's not a bad place to live at all. The paper has been one of transition though. They are on their third editor in the past year, and three employees have left since March. It's not a bad gig though.

Draft saved Draft deleted