1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Hoschton, Ga......

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JosephC.Myers, May 18, 2012.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

From jjobs.com. A quick Google search says this is in Jackson County....

A progressive, community-driven weekly paper in northeast Georgia is looking for a do-it-all Sports Editor. This person would be responsible for the coverage of three local high schools,area race tracks and coverage of community sports and outdoor activities. We pride ourselves on providing readers with the best local sports coverage around. Our area is home to the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, has hosted several Dizzy Dean World Series baseball tournaments and is the home of the Jackson County Brevet, a cycling event that has become the nation’s largest fund-raising event for aplastic anemia research. Our local high schools are very competitive and regularly contend for state championships in multiple sports. Experience with layout (InDesign) is essential. Photography, Photoshop and web and social media experience is a plus. One year of professional experience preferred, but recent graduates with college media experience will be considered. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to editor@clickthepaper.com.

2. slc10

slc10 Member

I have an idea where Hoschton is located. I will have to send something in. I have been out of the game a little longer than I thought.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's in Jackson County, but it's more toward the Gwinnett County side than the Athens side. Effectively a suburb of a suburb.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

It's also near Chateau Elan. It's high school, Mill Creek (a Gwinnett school), is one of the top athletic schools in the GHSA. It's fifth in the state's Directors Cup standings. It used to be the state's largest school by enrollment.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You'd better like racing. Road Atlanta, Lanier National, Atlanta Dragway and Gresham Motorsports Park are all close to or within the coverage area.

It may seem like Atlanta's not that far (50 miles?) but you're a long damn ways from downtown in any kind of traffic situation. I'm guessing it's a good two-hour commute from Chateau Elan to downtown between 6:30-9 a.m. on a normal day, worse if there's a wreck or 10.

The Falcons train not too far away in Flowery Branch. The Gwinnett Braves are down I-85 in Lawrenceville. You're 30 miles from Sanford Stadium. Lake Lanier's close. The Mayfield Dairy plant has awesome ice cream. It's still pretty rural despite encroaching suburbia.

Make sure you pronounce the city correctly in your phone interview. It's Hoosch-ton (rhymes with push, not hush), not Hawsch-ton.

Draft saved Draft deleted