1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Henderson N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

...from jj.com

Company: The Daily Dispatch
    Position: sports editor
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 14, 2012
    Job ID: 1319563

Description:

The Daily Dispatch, a 7,200-circulation, award-winning daily newspaper in Henderson, North Carolina is seeking a sports editor. We have a one-person sports department, so this position does it all. Duties include covering high school, rec and college sports and coordinating stringers. This position also takes the lead on our sports special sections and is responsible for all sports web content (stories, blogs, etc.) The sports editor is not responsible for pagination, but is responsible for proofing/editing sports pages. To apply, send a resume with writing samples to Luke Horton at lhorton@hendersondispatch.com

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Paaaaxxxxton.

3. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

One-person sports department at a six-day daily? Slightly above indentured servitude. Did it for a year at another paper in N.C. Chalk it up to Stockholm Syndrome.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Again, Paxton. Enough said.

5. A one-person staff I understand at a 7200 circ daily. But having to proof and edit the sports pages nightly? What do you do, work a 15-hour day?

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I was a 1-man at an 8k, 6 day and had to do layout on top of proofing, writing and shooting pictures. I think they need to include in the ad "You will never have a day off. Typical day includes working 3 p.m.-1 a.m. All meals will be eaten at your desk between phone calls from coaches. Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

ColdCat, I think you summed that up very well.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

You forgot this: "And don't think about putting in for overtime, even if you've worked 60 or more hours ..."

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Overtime at Paxton...

(fell to the floor laughing).

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let me guess, North Carolina is one of those "Right to Work" states.

Meaning if someone were to sue Paxton for unpaid overtime, or call the Dept. of Labor to complain, they'd be told they have a right to work, which doesn't necessarily mean a right to be paid.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. What it ends up happening is you fill out a time card after the fact. Crunch the number to make sure they add up to 40 hours. Put in OT and a supervisor cracks down on you. But when you write down 40, you not only write off the OT, but also give up any leg you might have had to stand on.

What Paxton did to Durham was disgusting and, worse, this used to be a two-man sports department. And now they think because they sent off layout to be handled elsewhere, they can justify a one-man department? For a six-day paper?

Umm ... umm ...

12. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

I am certainly not defending Paxton by any means; They have run down some good papers in my home state (as have other media companies). But don't bash right-to-work laws. If you work 60 hours a week you should be paid for that work. It's your choice if you allow a company to "crack down on you" and make you only claim 40 or 37.5 hours.

Leave the company, for goodness sakes if they are doing that. Don't look back. Make sure to tell everyone else of your rotten experience with the company. But move on. That's the only way to change that type of behavior in companies like that.

I was the dutiful journalist for several years and worked tons of unpaid OT in the name of "covering my teams well." That was really dumb of me to get taken advantage of like that. Although it has helped my current career.

Draft saved Draft deleted