1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Hattiesburg, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by satchmo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. SoMissGrad

SoMissGrad Member

I dunno. I've only been out of Southern Miss for a year and a half. Now they have passed some laws such as smoking laws and housing laws since I left, but it's still an OK town. How many bars can claim to be like Nick's Icehouse on Hardy Street, which has used toilets for bar stools. Mugshots on Fourth Street is another good place which has great burgers and live music. And you have to go to Hattiesburg to at least have Leatha's bar-b-que once in your life (not you can miss the advertising for Leatha's because they advertise at just about every Southern Miss athletic event).

BTW, for the guy who said Southern Miss should be glad to have Brett Favre as an alum or else they'd be in the Sunbelt...you forget that Ray Guy also played for Southern Miss (baseball and football).

Honestly though, the football team's defense isn't as good now as it was in the late 1990s when you had Shirrod Gideon and Adalius Thomas on the Southern Miss D-Line. Now they've got the running back tandem of freshmen Tory Harrison and Damion Fletcher, which could make things interesting for oppossing defenses next year because both are good running backs.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

This paper has enjoyed a pipeline to Brett Favre like no other over the years. I believe it had an exclusive with him just last week.

I think Chris Havel would be a natural fit here.

;D

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I hear he's going to be opinion page editor (or whatever they call that position there).

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Pretty accurate observations there, Grifter.

Won't be an easy gig.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I just noticed this, but isn't it an odd time for an SE to jump ship. Especially four SE's in the midst of Gannett's online overhaul.

6. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Sources say that Van has had a change of heart and is not leaving his SE post in favor of the Community Conversation Desk (Gannett's new name for the editorial department). Welcome back Van.

7. boots

boots New Member

That will not end well.

8. boots

boots New Member

This one is fresh off the boots pipeline. According to my sources and they are pretty good, there is no SE opening in Hattiesburg. The SE isn't leaving his post. Others may be chiming in later, but this is not a rumor.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fresh off the d_b pipeline, maybe

10. boots

boots New Member

Don't know what you are referring to but this is not a rumor.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'll go ahead and offer a bit of a confirmation on that one. Wondering if there were any inhouse candidates for this one. could get messy

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But how could he say no to running the prestigious Community Conversation Desk?

(I'm sure it's a fine position. I'm equally sure it's the stupidest name for an editorial department I've ever heard.)

Draft saved Draft deleted