1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Glenwood Springs, Colo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by effinyorks, Dec 28, 2012.

1. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Daily-weekly sports editor
    The Glenwood Springs Post Independent in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, is looking for a talented writer-editor to lead sports coverage for the print and digital editions of daily Post Independent and for the weekly Rifle Citizen Telegram. We are seeking a dedicated sports journalist who handles deadlines with ease and is passionate about school and community sports, who communicates well, can organize and manage a demanding schedule of preps sports for five high schools, can plan and oversee the work of sports stringers, and maintains a forward-looking story budget for all editions. Accurate and lively sports writing skills are essential, as is time management. In a typical day, the sports editor will cover a game in person through writing and photography, cover another game by telephone, select national sports stories from the AP wire, design and lay out pages for the sports section and post stories to the web and social media. The successful candidate will be fully functional in Quark or InDesign, Photoshop and AP style. The job requires consistent evening and weekend work usually on a Tuesday-Saturday workweek. Interested? Email editor Heather McGregor at hmcgregor@postindependent.com to obtain a complete job description. Application deadline Jan. 11, 2013. EOE.
  2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

By telephone? It's still 1965 in Glenwood Springs?

Also, this is what I do every day but this is for two papers. Pass.
  3. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Better than by telegraph or carrier pigeon. If anyone has any questions, message me. I'm the one leaving.
  4. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 New Member

True, it is better than those two...just doesn't make it good in today's day and age. Do you get to drive to games in a DeLoran as well?
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How long is your "typical day"? Looks like you're writing, editing and reading wires at the same time.
  6. apeman33

Fax? Email? Seems to me that would make things a whole lot easier.

I've been where I'm at long enough to remember calling six basketball coaches every game night. Taking track results over the phone. Now, it's one email to the coach, one back, print off and start typing. Saves a hell of a lot of time.
  7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Child's play. I remember when we had to take information by smoke signal.
  8. apeman33

When I first started, we had problems getting the paper out because it was difficult to sharpen our chisels on deadline. Also had to keep fighting with that damn dino for constantly biting my time card to show I was leaving five minutes early.[/flintstones]
  9. How many roommates do you need or how many other jobs to afford to live there?
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I imagine the "section" is only 1-2 pages. Hell, there were plenty of days when I wrote a story, edited stuff and laid out 3-4 pages in a shift.
  11. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Glenwood is not as expensive as some of the neighboring resorty towns (Aspen, Vail, etc.), but it's still not cheap. Go west a little (New Castle, for example) and you can find some good deals on rent.

These links will give you some idea of what to expect:

PI classifieds

12. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Some days, it's 1-2. Some, it's 3-4-5. Keep in mind they're tabloid-sized pages, so they go quickly. And the copy desk will pitch in with help on deadline when filing stories from afar.
Draft saved Draft deleted