1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Gilroy, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Our readers are passionate about community sports and The Dispatch in Gilroy is seeking a sports editor with a passion for coverage to match. If you have a knack for writing and laying out pages and understand how to integrate print and online editions, there's a position open for you. The Dispatch, in the San Francisco Bay Area, is daily online and twice weekly in print. Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to Editor Mark Derry at mderry@gilroydispatch.com

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Plus, all the garlic you desire and no vampires!

Nice area close to a lot of cool stuff.

3. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

In years past The Dispatch did a lot of cool stuff with San Jose State, but I don't know what role that has expanded to now. Gilroy is pretty nicely situated between the beaches of Santa Cruz, the shopping of San Jose and the city of San Francisco. Cost of living is still an arm and a leg though with the median house price running $600,000 and monthly rent in a one-roomer for around $1,000 to $1,200.

4. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

dang, that is expensive

5. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

The ad on jjobs.com says the salary is negotiable. I wonder what range they're willing to negotiate if cost of living is that high in that area.

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

Rebel its high schools and community stuff only. prints only twice a week. Housing won't be cheap. The prep stuff is decent in the area, but not a great place to live. My in-laws currently live there

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't know how journalists make it in Cali...crazy...I'm in the Northwest and it's tough enough up here...actually looking to relocate in part due to that.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Gilroy, home of much-traveled NFL signal-barker Jeff Garcia. Now with the Raiders, the lucky hire may get some seat time next to Al Davis at the Coliseum this season, since Garcia has come full circle and landed in Oakland.

And wait, lemme guess, it's 15 minutes from Lake Tahoe, right?

9. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

This paper has gone from five-days per week to two days a week, maybe even one. It's basically an online paper. Gilroy High/Gavilan JC are main beats. Hired guy will make about $30k per year, maybe a little more. It's a fishbowl town.

10. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

I heard it's 35k per year, not bad for cost of living in Gilroy area.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

yeah the west and east coasts are so damn expensive. Middle america is where it is at for cheap livin.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Would they help with relocation?

Draft saved Draft deleted