1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Gatesville, Tx

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Immediate opening for full-time sports editor at 4,500 circulation semi-weekly Texas county seat newspaper. A one-person show that covers three Class A schools and one Class AAA school. Health insurance coverage, vacation benefits and Christmas Club. Send resume and references to: publisher@gatesvillemessenger.com or snail mail to: Gatesville Messenger, P.O. Box 799, Gatesville, TX 76528. No telephone calls.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Christmas Club?

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Back when I used to work in the area, we considered this paper a rag. The sports section could totally use a shot in the arm. For what it's worth, Gatesville is usually pretty competitive in Texas 3A High school sports. They won the boys golf state champ last year and powerlifting title. Also, softball, basketball went pretty far. If someone has right knowledge, could do a lot with this but you usually get drowned out by bigger dogs like Waco, Temple and Killeen.

4. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

what does semi-weekly mean? just whatever week they feel like publishing?

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'm thinking they mean twice a week.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The publisher is to the point where he's checking on references and I imagine he will be doing interviews shortly.

Semiweekly means twice a week. As opposed to biweekly, which means every two weeks.

7. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Surprised to see this. The guy who was there, I thought was doing a pretty decent job of late. He had not been there very long, either. I guess he moved on pretty quickly.

8. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit of a noob

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yeah the guy that was there was doing good. From what I understand he lives in Waco though and the commute wasn't making it worth his while.
    Thing about a gig like this where you do it all, you can be in the office in the morning, then have a game to cover that night with maybe 3-4 hours of dead time in between. A split shift like that is fine, but if you are already driving 40 minutes to get to work, going home in between can wear on ya. As can the alternative of just staying in town with nothing to do for a few hours.

The paper has potential and Gatesville, while not much to see or do there, has some very easy people to work with.

Draft saved Draft deleted