1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Garden City (Kan.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think it's weak to buy into that attitude.

2. so, I hear the Garden City Telegram is hiring a new sports editor.

any thoughts?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand you'd be within easy driving distance of the crime scene from "in cold blood."

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

There were several top-talented players who went to the JC!

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Here's what I know:

For the most part, it's a good paper. Sometimes it's a great paper. There are good people throughout, from upper management to the custodian.
    They care about sports -- the publisher and managing editor both are former SEs and know their stuff.
    Both are good people. They're good about jumping in to help and good about calling you on the carpet if you screw up.
    The reporters, at least the ones I'm familiar with, are real solid -- the envy of papers this size. The ME does a great job of recruiting good reporters. Many leave for greener pastures because it's so freaking isolated, but some have even come back. Good, solid writers -- the whole bunch of them. Really not one bad apple in the bunch personality-wise.
    Town is about 50% Hispanic, 49% white. Most of the crime is along the lines of graffiti, moving violations and gas-stealing. Very low bad crime.
    Good Mexican food. One damn good burger joint. Reat is what you would expect from a 25,000-population town (WalMart, most of the fast-food chains, but they do have a Target).
    Weather is about what you'd expect for the High Plains: cold in the winter, hot in the summer, four seasons. It smells bad when the temperature gets above 100 or below 30. They call it the smell of money.
    Golf is huge. Rodeo is big. High schools and local juco are the majority of the coverage.
    I've met and know many, many area high school coaches and all, without an exception, are great people. Most will bend over backwards to help you. Juco has many new coaches, but the veterans and ADs are top-notch, great people, as is the prez.
    Be prepared to drive. Wichita is 3 1/2 hours east, Hutchinson is 3 hours northeast, Amarillo is about 4 hours south, and Pueblo is about 4 hours west. The drives are what you make them: My wife can't stand the boredom (flat lands, you can see for miles, but the storms are awesome).
    The paper is in the Harris chain, a great (one of the best in the nation) chain. They pay decent and the benefits are above average.
    They really need someone who can go in there and make themselves a pillar of the community. By that, I mean someone who will be there a while, get to know the people and put up with some mild bullshit. Revolving door is basically because of the proximity, and that's to be expected of non-editing positions.

Basically, if you like farm life, or have a young family where you'd like to put down some roots, this is the place for you. I would figure the editor positions would be better for those who plan to stay a while.

That's all I've got to say about that.

6. I guess I never think of Kansas being that close to Texas, relatively speaking. But in that part of the state, it is.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Cousin Eddie lives about an hour away, near Syracuse.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

I grew up about 4 blocks from where it happened.

People live in the house.

You DO NOT drive down that road at night.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll bring the mactarnahan's, you bring the eggs. those people and their house are so toast next halloween.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

^BC-APNewsAlert,0033
    GARDEN CITY, Kan. — Garden City police officials are still searching for the torsos of Tomas Petty and Chef, whose heads were found in a field about 300 yards from the murders made famous in Truman Capote's true-crime novel "In Cold Blood."
    The two reportedly were egging the house in question before disappearing. There are no suspects in the case, police officials say.

-30-

11. What happened to the SE?

Isn't this the third time in three years that they've had an opening for a sports editor?

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Aahh.....It's all good.

I've actually been in the house.

Nothing really outlandish about the house.

Just an old house in the country, but a very nice house.

I'll leave you with this.

The boy and the dad were killed in the basement.

Cement floors............

Draft saved Draft deleted