1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Garden City (Kan.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kingcreole, Aug 15, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?Media=all&JobID=578459

Not a DB. They have another opening in Garden City. Again, I must give it my endoresement. Fine place to work with an outstanding ME and publisher.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Here you go folks, consider your homework done:

http://testing.gctelegram.com/view.cgi?cat=Sports&state=story&id=42758

Published 8/12/2006
    Some people say change is good. Some folks say change in inevitable.

I'm a firm believer in the latter, but I also believe change is what you make it. Oftentimes, you must take the bad with the good, but it's your focus that makes change tolerable.

The sports department at The Telegram is going through some major changes. And whenever there's something strange going on, I'm usually in the middle of it.

Most people know by now that sports writer Mike Kessinger accepted a position at The Hays Daily News. Mike will be missed around here - he is friendly, a very hard worker and dedicated to his craft. You can't ask for more than that.

Our new assistant sports editor, Mark Haslett, has tendered his resignation to take a job with High Plains Public Radio. Mark, who was offered a position he just couldn't refuse, has been here long enough that I was able to get to know him as a friend, and I'm fortunate in that friendship will continue.

That leaves little ol' me.

That part of change can be scary, but I really don't fear the next few months. This is where focus really comes into play - I can focus on the possibility of flying solo during one of the busiest times of the year, the start of fall sports, and I can focus on so much work to be done. But I'm happy to say there'll be none of that.

We have an outstanding newsroom staff - the envy of papers our size - both in quality and quantity. Our publisher, Dena Sattler, and managing editor, Brett Riggs, both are former sports editors, and I have no doubt that the work will get done.

But the changes aren't finished.

I have resigned as sports editor, effective as soon as we fill the position.

When I took over as sports editor in January after Rob Houston returned to radio in Enid, Okla., I did so with trepidation. I left Emporia because of the stress associated with being the lead guy at a daily newspaper, and wasn't real keen on the idea of doing it again. I regretted the move almost immediately.

Besides, I was happy as assistant sports editor. My strengths are in writing and page design. My weaknesses are in people skills and management. I loved doing what I was doing before taking over as the guy in charge.

So I asked, and was granted, a return to my old post as assistant sports editor.

Filling two positions will be quite the challenge, but we're way ahead of that. We have a commitment to fill the sportswriter slot, and are in the process of seeking a new sports editor.

My reporting duties will not change. I will continue to cover Garden City High School sports with every bit of enthusiasm as I did before. Our new sports editor likely will continue with the Garden City Community College beat, with the new sportswriter taking over the area high school beat.

In the meantime, I will try my best not to let anything slip through the cracks.

Of course, it is my hope that the new sports editor will be as solid as the last one. Rob was not just a good manager, but he was - and still is - a good friend.

I'm already more relaxed, not because things are easier at the moment, but because of focus - I'm learning to take things one day at a time. And there's light at the end of the tunnel.

As Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I believe it was a young Wichita State graduate, if I was told correctly. As far as I know, they're still looking for the SE.

Draft saved Draft deleted