1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor/GA Reporter - Daily Sitka (Alaska) Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, May 25, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Who doesn't love Alaska jobs? Cold and beautiful.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1363188

Company: Daily Sitka Sentinel
    Position: Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 29, 2012
    Job ID: 1363188

Description:

Award winning daily newspaper in community of 8,000 in Southeast Alaska is seeking a qualified sports editor/general assignment reporter. Job includes health and profit sharing/401(k) benefits. Salary negotiable, based on qualifications and experience. The Daily Sitka Sentinel is a 3,000-circulation 5-day afternoon newspaper serving Sitka, Alaska. Applicant will join a news staff of six, cover sports at two local high schools and assemble the daily sports page from wire reports and local copy. General assignment reporting and feature writing are also part of the job.Working knowledge of InDesign a plus. The Sentinel is a locally-owned independent newspaper founded in 1940. To apply or request more information email thad@sitkasentinel.com, or write to Thad Poulson, editor, Daily Sitka Sentinel, 112 Barracks St., Sitka, Alaska 99835.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

I wonder if Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds are still living there.

/stupid movie reference

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A couple of things about this gig:

1. Understand that Sitka is off the beaten path, even by southeast Alaska standards. It's the only decent-sized town in the region that's actually on the Pacific Ocean, rather than protected along the "inside passage" like Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, etc. You'd better like small-town life if you apply here, because getting in and out of town is tough, expensive and rare.

2. That being said, I would jump all over this if I was 25 again. From my limited knowledge of the region, SE Alaskans are crazy about prep sports, especially basketball. The fact that this is a locally owned paper (as opposed to, say, The Juneau Empire, which is at the whim of the Morris corporation in Georgia) is a huge plus, and you'll get to learn a ton about the basics of the business.

Plus I'm a guy who's fascinated by whales, sea lions and other ocean mammals. Plenty of 'em to see in Sitka and surrounding areas.

Good luck to all who apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted