1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- (Fort Payne, Ala.) Times-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 29, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Times-Journal, an award-winning daily newspaper in Fort Payne, Ala., is looking for a sports editor. Our sports section is one of the best in the state for a paper our size, and we’re looking for a candidate who can continue and improve upon our award-winning tradition of covering nine high schools, recreation sports and the best college football in America. Candidates with layout/design and photography skills are preferred. Please email your cover letter and resume to Publisher David Clemons at dclemons@times-journal.com. No phone calls, please.

2. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Think Fort Payne is about two and a half hours from Tuscaloosa, so wondering which, if any, teams the paper regularly covers.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's Alabama. Everybody covers the Tide.

4. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

This is my hometown and where I started my journalism career all those years ago. Coverage is mostly of the county's nine high schools and community sports. No Sunday paper -- it's a weekend edition produced Friday nights. Not much digital focus at this time. You'll be a one-man band covering nine high schools with the occasional college feature or column thrown in.

Fort Payne is a fairly nice, affordable place to live. Small town, but close enough to Huntsville, Chattanooga, Birmingham and Atlanta.

5. So the ad contains a lie regarding covering college football or is is cover the big boys on your own dime?

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I would assume they let you work as often as you'd like in your 40-hour workweek.

Draft saved Draft deleted