1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports editor, Florida Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wahoo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I spent many years working for JRC and Gannett.

Both of these chains like to buy up little dailies and weeklies for quick cash infusions. Helps the stock, gives them more resources and places to plunder and squeeze. In the long run it hurts the little dailies but they do create short-term gains for the corporations.

And yes...it does seem like there's an industry-wide hiring freeze, and it has frankly felt like that for a while. At the place I work now (not Gannett or JRC), it is shocking how many vital positions are not being filled as longtime staffers leave.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I'm at a pretty good sized Gannett shop and we're hiring...not a lot, but essential positions (ss determined by the publisher) are being posted with the idea of filling them.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

FWIW I just heard that the Gannett-owned Morristown Daily Record in New Jersey is in pretty bad shape...bad shape as in it might have to merge with another Gannett paper to survive.

4. david kaye

david kaye Member

;D :eek: :D

5. boots

boots New Member

The most logical paper to merge it with is the Courier Post.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

you mean the courier news?

7. boots

boots New Member

Actually, I've been in favor of Gannett merging a lot of the smaller papers, including the Courier Post and Courier News. Their borders overlap in some places.

8. wahoo

wahoo New Member

Filled yesterday permamently by ASE.

Was never posted by Gannett.

9. boots

boots New Member

It's the Gannett way.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Isn't "permanently" a bit of a misnomer at Florida Today the way that position keeps opening every few months?

11. Pops

Pops Member

Chalk up another one for hiring equality. Congrats, Lee.

Draft saved Draft deleted