1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports editor, Florida Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wahoo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

holy shit. wow! Didn't they just do that last year, about this same time actually.

2. david kaye

david kaye Member

No.

3. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

Where did you hear that, Buckeye?

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

From a Gannett publisher.
    The guy hasn't replaced anyone in his newsroom in 3 years, downsizing by almost half, and has lost 4 people in the last 6 months. This was the rationale for not filling any of those openings, that this was coming.
    Take it FWIW.

5. david kaye

david kaye Member

We've hired several people in the last month. The last two began yesterday. Take that FWIW.

6. The Gannett job board hasn't been updated in more than a month.
    Shortly before that, many, many jobs were removed.

I think the theory that big cuts are coming makes a lot of sense.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Actually, a lot of Gannett papers did have cuts last year around this time. At least two regions went through it.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Easy David, I'm telling you what I was told. It's obviously true for that publisher, and obviously mammoth cuts have happened in other Gannett shops.
    I don't think the guy was lying to me. His shop is certainly reacting to that information. Whether it's accurate in other regions or with other Gannett newspapers, I don't know. Just passing on what a Gannett publisher told me.
    Congratulations on being able to hire journalists. Not everyone is as fortunate.

9. david kaye

david kaye Member

I'm not saying the guy was lying. It may be coming. Nothing surprises me anymore. I was just saying that we've been able to hire, unlike this guy. And yes, we've been fortunate, although we've been in and out of hiring freezes, just like every other paper in the country. We'll see what happens.

10. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

Gannett just bought two small dailies. If they want to save money, why are they buying newspapers?

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

From what I understand, and I could just be talking out of my ass, but a lot of small dailies are very profitable. However, they end up screwed when they join larger chains, because when cuts are mandated, it usually affects the small profitable paper more than the larger papers.
    Shared profits mean shared responsibility, especially when jobs are cut or frozen.

12. Hurricane J

Hurricane J New Member

David is just a reactionary fool ... too many years working for Gannett has gotten under his skin.

what's up, goatboy?

Draft saved Draft deleted